cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopping Netbackup services - taking too long

Jay_Son
Level 5

We recently upgraded to NBU 7.1 from 6.5.5. Everything seems to be runnung fine except when we need to bounce services or stop netbackup. It can take up to 30-45 minutes for the services to finally stop.

These are the 4 services where it can take a while to move on to the next service:

1. stopping the NetBackup Remote Monitoring Management System

2. stopping the NetBackup Storage Lifecycle Manager

3. stopping the NetBackup Policy Execution Manager
4. stopping the NetBackup Job Manager

Does anyone know exactly what it is NBU is doing while stopping services? How can I speed up the process (statring and stopping)?

Env = AIX 6.0

NBU = 7.1.0.2

Thanks

Jay Son

7 REPLIES 7

watsons
Level 6

All those 4 processes are related to jobs scheduling and running, which includes SLP operation and media server communication or MSDP (nbrmms).

Did you shutdown NBU when there was no other job running?

You can also check if there is any lag when communicating with other media servers. If all these are checked, it's best to start checking nbrmms log (51216-222-*) for more details.

falti_manullang
Level 5
Partner

Before you try to stop all of netbackup services, just make sure that all of your backup activity was stoped.

Jay_Son
Level 5

@ Watson - I believe "netbackup stop" is the only way to "shutdown". Am i missing something?

@ Falti - I did make surethat jobs have completed from my Activity monitor and Device Monitor.

watsons
Level 6

Yes, "netbackup stop" did the shutdown of NBU. It's just a script to run all shutdown process, not the only way but the recommended way. :)

What I meant in my post was that individual process takes care of different functionalities, so when a process takes a long time to shutdown, it usually have problem with what it's trying to do while shutting down. Checking the individual logs would give a better idea of its progress.

falti_manullang
Level 5
Partner

It's Windows ?

Try to use local administrator account.

Douglas_A
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Usually when daemons hang its due to some kind of DNS or name resolution issue. I would suggest adding Host entries if they do not already exist on the master for itself and any media servers.

Also in AIX dont use "netbackup stop"/"netbackup start" Use "bp.kill_all" and "bp.start_all"

Many moons ago someone explained to me that in AIX this is a much better way to start and stop services, usually support will argue this fact, but it does work alot better for AIX.

Kisad
Level 5

I too have faced situations where NBU processes takes long time to shutdown.Usually running bp.kil_all as Douglas suggested or kill -9 <PID> will terminate the process.

Couple of years back NBU support shared the below process for restarting NBU 6.x services , I still use it as it holds good for NBU 7.x too. In case you want to try it ...

Netbackup 6.x Maintainance (restarting services and clearing junk/temp/lock files)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STOP & KILL all NetBackup Processes
      /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/netbackup stop
      /opt/VRTSpbx/bin/vxpbx_exchanged stop
      /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/bp.kill_all -FORCEKILL

LIST Any remaining processes
      /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpps -x   

KILL any processes listed from bpps -x with  'kill -9 <PID-Number>'
      (a reboot may be needed if kill command fails)

REMOVE these temporary workspace directory and files
     rm -r /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpsched.d  
     rm -r /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bprd.d
     rm -f /usr/openv/netbackup/db/jobs/pempersist* 
     rm -f /usr/openv/netbackup/db/jobs/restart/*   
     rm -f  /usr/openv/netbackup/db/jobs/bpjobd.act.db 
     rm -f /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/*.lock
     rm -f /usr/openv/netbackup/db/media/drives/* 
     rm -f /usr/openv/netbackup/db/media/tpreq/*
     rm -f /usr/openv/volmgr/misc/*.lock
     rm -f /usr/openv/var/nbproxy_jm.ior
     rm -f /usr/openv/var/nbproxy_pem.ior