cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Unit Initiating Parent Jobs

Tracy_Fry
Level 4

Hello,

I have a odd situation where i am using a storage unit group with 4 storage units. 2 are PureDisk and 2 are Advanced disk. The PureDisk stu's are number 1 and 2 in the list and we are using 'failover'  for storage unit selection.

we discovered that if the 1st storage unit was busy - the backup would be written to stu number 3 in the list which is advanced disk, and for some reason skipped stu number 2 altogether. This is not expected behaviour in itself because with failover, it should only go to the next available stu if the first is down or out of media, but i understand that NetBackup may think the stu is down if it is busy?

i logged this with support and they said that you cannot use PureDisk volumes in stoarge unit groups [which is not helpful in itself] - anyway so that may explain why the storage unit group is not behaving as it should.

we also discovered that 'on-demand' was selected, and we did not want this as we are not using any policy or schedule that uses any individual stu as all policies point to the storage unit group.

since 'on-demand' has been de-selected, we are now seeing that stu number 2 (the 2nd in the list) is initiating backup parent jobs, but the child jobs are writing the data to stu number 1 (the first in the list). 

can anyone explain why this may be happening. 

thanks in advance

Tracy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Tracy,

Don't think its wise to group those together. See below.

Backup storage unit groups
A backup storage unit group contains only the storage units that can contain backups. Furthermore, for
Media Server Deduplication Pool and third-party disk appliance (OpenStorage) storage, all storage units in the group must be of the same type of storage.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Tracy,

Don't think its wise to group those together. See below.

Backup storage unit groups
A backup storage unit group contains only the storage units that can contain backups. Furthermore, for
Media Server Deduplication Pool and third-party disk appliance (OpenStorage) storage, all storage units in the group must be of the same type of storage.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Define exactly what you are trying to achieve. Storage unit groups must be of the same type and no more than 5 storage units in a group.

Tracy_Fry
Level 4

Thank you both for your comments

revaroo - in using the 4 storage units in the stu group - the idea is that if i lose the main msdp server, then the advanced disk stu on another media server would take over and we would still have backups even though we have lost a media server.

The storage units are now working properly - the 'on-demand' check box was checked and clearing this has resolved the issue.

Many thanks for taking the time to read the post :)