cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Unit for OST

Dirk_Mueller
Level 5

Hi@ll,

we implement two dedup-machines per OST and VTL. Many Media-Servers are able to write to the OST-Diskpools.

Now I defined some storage units.

Is there a reason not to use the option "use any available media server" ???

If I use this option - will NetBackup make a balancing between the media servers?

Kind regards

Dirk

6 REPLIES 6

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

If you have multiple media servers and you select Use any available media server to transport data, NetBackup chooses from among the available media servers for backups. Choose this option if you plan to add other media servers to this PureDisk storage pool in the future. You do not need to update the storage units at that time.

Please check link for more info

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO15390

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO34425

Thanks

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You could also use Storage Units Groups where you add your media servers to the group which allows you to use various options (round robin, load balancing etc.) and then define the Group in the SLP

However, if you use AIR you should not use Groups in SLP's

But in answer to your actual question ... it depends on exactly what you have configured ... for example if using PureDisk (or Appliances), Quantum Dxi and the like then optimised duplication goes directly from device to device so make no difference which media server is used as it is not really used!

But if you use MSDP or something that does not do direct optimised de-dupe then you may want to prevent the data crossing between media servers during the duplication process

Hope this helps

Gautier_Leblanc
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello,

Imagine you have 2 media servers on 2 sites, with 2 Symantec appliances (1 by site) and you do not use source deduplication. 

You will allow each media server to connect on each storage servers to manage optimized deduplication, but you will only allow the local media server on each storage unit, to prevent data to go through the intersite link when you backup any clients.

I hope I am clear ;)

Regards

Dirk_Mueller
Level 5

Hi@ll,

thanks for your answers.

The technical support of Symantec told me that the option "use any available media server" isn´t so well. So I will work with SU-groups and load balancing.

Kind regards

Dirk

Gautier_Leblanc
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I misunderstood your question.

I think that the best way to do it is to allow access at your OST storage server from all the media servers, and create only one STU with the option "Use any available media server".

I think that support was speaking about policy parameter "Policy Storage" and the "Any available" value.

Regards.

bbahnmiller
Level 4

I set this up for 2 media servers sharing the same "LSU - now Storage Unit" on a DataDomain. In our case, it was a Disk storage unit of type "OpenStorage (DataDomain)". For the disk pool, we specified the the DataDomain Storage Unit. And to limit which media servers were to use that particular DataDomain Storage Unit, I selected the specific media servers.

Also watch your multi-streaming. Depending on your type of disk pool, you may have stream limits to the disk pool. In our case it is limited by the DataDomain I/O streams. And replication can cut into your stream limit as well.

Bryan