cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage unit groups and optimized duplication

Robert_Backup
Level 3

Hi All,

What are the odds of losing optimized duplication and optimized synthetic full when using storage unit groups ?

Does Netbackup Accelerator works with storage unit groups?

Does it mean that I will have to send the Full Backup size over the network when duplicating a job to the DR site ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Looks like you might be ok ...

From the 7.6 OST Disk Guide manual

NetBackup does not support the following for storage unit groups:
Optimized duplication of deduplicated data. If you use a storage unit group as a destination for optimized duplication.

Seems I was thinking of NDMP Direct Copy (From NDMP Guide)

NDMP DirectCopy does not support multiplexed backup, synthetic backup, or
multiple copies. It also does not support storage unit groups for the destination
device.

Direct Copy is Optimized Duplication but between a disk device and a tape device ...

So looks like you will be ok, giove it a go and see.  The admin log shows if opt dup will be attempted and bptm will show if it worked.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Opt dup does not work with STU groups, so the chance of losing this is 100%

Far as I know accelerator does.

Robert_Backup
Level 3

Tks for the quick reply!

Does this means that I will have to size the network to send the Full Backup size when duplicating it ?

Just trying to figure out if it's better to use DataDomain as dedup engine instead of MSDP.

My understanding is that with DD and OST I can still use storage unit groups and get the optimzide duplication to a DR location, rigth ?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I would image that the DD dedup being more hardware based is going to be quicker than MSDP

However, this can;t get rounf the STU group issue, opt dup is both a combined feature of the devices and NBU, so the devices have to be capable  of sending data between themselves, but NBU still controls it, and no matter who does the deduplication, opr dup will not be available is the target is a STU group.

Robert_Backup
Level 3

I'm a bit confused now. 

I thougth I was able to use a SLP to run optimized duplication with STU group and DD based on this document :

http://www.emc.com/collateral/software/white-papers/h7334-data-domain-boost-netbackup-wp.pdf

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Looks like you might be ok ...

From the 7.6 OST Disk Guide manual

NetBackup does not support the following for storage unit groups:
Optimized duplication of deduplicated data. If you use a storage unit group as a destination for optimized duplication.

Seems I was thinking of NDMP Direct Copy (From NDMP Guide)

NDMP DirectCopy does not support multiplexed backup, synthetic backup, or
multiple copies. It also does not support storage unit groups for the destination
device.

Direct Copy is Optimized Duplication but between a disk device and a tape device ...

So looks like you will be ok, giove it a go and see.  The admin log shows if opt dup will be attempted and bptm will show if it worked.

Robert_Backup
Level 3

STU Group will be the source of the copy and not the destination so I guess it will work.

Tks for the help!

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I think it will also work as the destination ... looks like I was thinkng of Direct Copy to Tape which is opt dup from disk to tape.

I've been begging Veritas to remove this limitation for years.  They don't have to disable it immediately upon seeing a storage unit group as a destination.  They could either search the group for a suitable match (and I as the admin of the system am going to ensure that there are compatible stunits in the group.  Or pick one based on the selection algorithm (load balancing, failover, priority, etc) and disable opt dupe if they're not compatible.  This limitation causes me so much heartburn when I have to have more than one MSDP at a primary site and also a secondary site and have to set up the policies and SLPs.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There is no point in tagging onto an old discussion.

If you need assistance, please start a new discussion.

If you want to log a Request for Enhancement, then you need to approach NetBackup Product Management via your local Veritas SE.