cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion against SAP and Oracle Database backup

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Sueggest on the below scenario.

- Two nodes configured under native Linux SUSE cluster with Active/Passive mode. Each node have SAP Application and Oracle Database installed.

Question1: Netbackup SAP agent will be installed on both cluster nodes. However only need to purchase one Netbackup SAP agent (As the cluster is Active/Passive mode) which can take the backup of SAP Application and Oracle database. Correct ?

Question2: One Netbackup agent required for VERITAS Netbackup Enterprise Server. Correct ?

Question3: One Netbackup agent required for physical Tape Library. Correct ?

Finally only need to purchase three VERITAS Netbackup agents licenses if we go with "agent base licensing".

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I am always surprised when Symantec Partners ask licensing questions on this forum....
As a Symantec partner, you have access to the NBU licensing guides. 

Question 1:
Correct. 
Extract:
NetBackup licenses (servers, clients, agents, and options) are required for all nodes of a cluster. However, customers are entitled to install and use one additional copy of the licensed software per the conditions set forth in the Cold Disaster Recovery Licensing Policy. In most cases, this means that in an active-passive cluster only the active node is licensed. During a failover situation the licenses effectively transfer to the new active node.

You will also need one NBU Client license for each cluster node (not only one).

You can find answers to all your questions in the Licensing Guide.

Enterprise Server license is required for Master and each of the Media servers that will backup network clients.
If only one Master/Media server and no Enterprise clients are needed, NetBackup Server license may be sufficient.

You need to license each tape drive in physical tape library. The license is called Library Based Tape Drive.

Please download latest NetBackup Licensing Guide from PartnerNet.

Zahid_Haseeb

Marianne

Its sufficient to get the guide downloaded. However sometime we like to listin from other. Multiple times it happens that Support is unable to resolve the problem but CONNECT resolve that in a giffy

Marianne
Level 6

When I opened your post, I first of all thought that the answer to your 1st question was 'no', but then I opened the NBU 7.6 licensing guide and found the answer under Cluster Environments in the doc. Also found the rest of your questions.

Licensing queries (that are still unclear after consulting the licensing guide) should be taken up with your local Symantec SE or Customer Care, not Support. They deal with actual product issues, not licensing.

jim_dalton
Level 6

I would say the answer to 1 rather depends on what the other node does. If it genuinely runs no SAP/Oracle all the time then MvdB is correct. I only speak from experience : we run several clusters, but all run SAP/Oracle on all nodes. Having a node sat there cold is expensive and somewhat wasteful, but as its your money you are of course entitled to run it whatever way you choose.

Jim

Zahid_Haseeb

http://www.symantec.com/netbackup/agents-options-add-ons

Agents

• NetBackup Standard Client
  • NetBackup Enterprise Client
  • NetBackup Application and Database Pack
  • Netbackup for SAP
  • NetBackup for Enterprise Vault
  • Third Party Integrated Application and Database Agents

NetBackup Enterprise Client and Netbackup for SAP are mentioned differently at Symantec Web SIte. Means the Netbackup for SAP does not fall under NetBackup Enterprise Client. Correct ?

Question:

If above is correct , means we can take the SAP backup with Netbackup Server instead of Netbackup Enterprise Server

Marianne
Level 6

Zahid, have you downloaded the NetBackup Licensing Guide as per my suggestion a couple of days ago?

As a Symantec reseller, this doc should be your source of licensing information.

You will see that Enterprise Client does NOT include database agent licenses.

Enterprise Client:

• VMware
  • Hyper-V
  • Snapshot Client
  • SAN Media Server

Under NetBackup Agents topic you will find:

• NetBackup Application and Database Pack Option 
  • NetBackup for SAP