cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions: Diff scheduling before Accelerator Full

X2
   VIP   

Master/Media/Client on 7.5.0.5

We have recently converted a server (Linux) from normal backups to client-deduplicated backups. The full gets around 4TB of data and diffs vary from 20 - 30GB.

The FULL runs once a month and we plan to enable accelerator on it. The following questions come up though:

1. How to setup a DIFF just before the accelerated FULL? as this will ensure that FULL has minimum changes.

2. Does this require a different start window starting later than a DIFF on the day or the FULL?

This is important to correct because if we setup a simple window for a DIFF before the accelerated FULL and there is a lot of change on the server (no guarantees of DIFF  remaining the same and there are always exceptions), the DIFF might take longer and FULL window closes before it can start. End result: the only shot at a FULL in the month is lost!

How have others setup there accelerated FULL in tandem with a preceeding DIFF?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

Have to run a Full backup before a Differential.

The Diff would be the same same size as Full if you could do it the other way around so what's the point?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Will_Restore
Level 6

Have to run a Full backup before a Differential.

The Diff would be the same same size as Full if you could do it the other way around so what's the point?

X2
   VIP   

wr - I didn't get how the DIFF would be the same size as the FULL. DIFF is generally smaller than FULL, and in worse case can be same as FULL. But as the last DIFF was performed a day before, the DIFF if performed on the day of the FULL (Before FULL), would definitely be much smaller than FULL.

Am I missing something?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I think youre assumptions are wrong. You can't apply normal backup logic of full and incremental sizes when using Accelerator and possible deduplication. And by the way - you use accelerator for both full and incrementals.

As Abdul Rasheed write in his blog:

"NetBackup Accelerator provides full backups for the cost of an incremental backup".

I sugges you read it :

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/frequently-asked-questions-netbackup-accelerator

Best Regards

Nicolai