Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions required on catalog size and moving master to a virtual machine

neetu
Level 3

Hi all,

I have two master servers in my current environment. Details are as below:

Master 1: NBU 7.1.0.4 (physical)

Types of backup: Combination of UNIX, Windows OS backups (with BMR enabled for physical machines), Agent based backups for SQL, Lotus Domino and Oracle.

Average number of jobs that run on daily basis: 7500 (within a 14 hour backup window)

No. of media servers: 15 (physical)

No. of clients: Appr. 2200

Current catalog size: 1.1 TB

Master 2: NBU 7.5.0.6 (physical)

Types of backup: Combination of UNIX, Windows OS backups (with BMR enabled for physical machines), Agent based backups for SQL, Lotus Domino and Oracle.

Average number of jobs that run on daily basis: 5000 (within a 14 hour backup window)

No: of media servers: 8 (physical)

No. of clients: Appr. 800

Current catalog size: 520 GB

Both the masters are clustered using Veritas Global custering Option(active-passive mode). Catalog resides in a LUN which is replicated to the DR master LUN using SRDF.

With more requirements coming in we are planning to introduce another master with NetBackup 7.6.0.2 on a VM. Media servers will be physical as we use tapes only.

My questions are:
1) How big environment can I support with master on VM?

2) How much catalog might be a maximum recommended size on a master hosted ona VM?

3) Our observation from our current 2 masters- Even though Master 2 has less than half the number of clients as Master 1, the catalog size has already reached 520 GB and is still growing (the type of clients is similar). Is this because of the difference in version of NetBackup? Do recent versions add more to the catalog? If yes, then should I expect a bigger catalog on 7.6.0.2?

Regards,

Neetu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

About your catalog size question:

Is this because of the difference in version of NetBackup? 

No. Catalog size is determined by the number of files backed up, directory depth (each path needs an entry in the catalogs) and retention levels.

So, a File and Print server with 500GB backup size consisting of millions of files will have bigger catalog entries in images folder than a Oracle server with 500GB of data that consist of 10 db files.

NBU Admin Guide I has a section on catalog space calculations.

PS:
Your 1st master server is getting too big.
Symantec recommends no bigger catalog that 1TB.
Probably time to setup a new master and move some of the clients off this environment.

See recommendations in this Vision presentation:

NetBackup 7.6 Best Practices: Optimizing Performance 

Another good doc: 

Updated NetBackup Backup Planning and Performance Tuning Guide for Release 7.5 and Release 7.6

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

There is 2TB limitation on the LUN size in VMware ESC 5.1

Getting around that limitation require some not very nice tricks - documented by Symantec however.

Call me conservative - but I would only virtualize my master on smaller Netbackup Domains.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

About your catalog size question:

Is this because of the difference in version of NetBackup? 

No. Catalog size is determined by the number of files backed up, directory depth (each path needs an entry in the catalogs) and retention levels.

So, a File and Print server with 500GB backup size consisting of millions of files will have bigger catalog entries in images folder than a Oracle server with 500GB of data that consist of 10 db files.

NBU Admin Guide I has a section on catalog space calculations.

PS:
Your 1st master server is getting too big.
Symantec recommends no bigger catalog that 1TB.
Probably time to setup a new master and move some of the clients off this environment.

See recommendations in this Vision presentation:

NetBackup 7.6 Best Practices: Optimizing Performance 

Another good doc: 

Updated NetBackup Backup Planning and Performance Tuning Guide for Release 7.5 and Release 7.6