Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Environment

Netbackup Server = 7.1

OS of Netbackup = windows2008 Server

One IBM 3310 Tape Library attached

One machine as Master/Media Server

Agenda

I want to make my Netbackup works as HA or make my Netbackup Server works while primary Netbackup Server gets down.

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Only new NBU master server installation can be clustered.

To convert existing non-clustered NBU master to clustered, you need Consulting services.

Please see      http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31385    

You also cannot prepare a new cluster, install NBU as clustered and then restore catalog. Catalog restore will fail. (Trust me - I've tried!!)

Zahid_Haseeb

You mean that the Clustered Netbackup's Catalog can only be restored on a Clustered Netbackup and Single Master/Media Catalog cannot be restored on Clustered Netbackup.

right ? 

Marianne
Level 6

Correct - the non-clustered EMM database cannot be restored to a clustered master. Consulting partners have special tools to export data from non-clustered EMM database and import on the clustered server.

Zahid_Haseeb

Consulting partners have special tools to export data from non-clustered EMM database and import on the clustered server.

What does it means ?

Marianne
Level 6

Partners are selected for specialized consulting training  for Catalog Manipulation and after wrting the exam, are allowed to use the tools/commands that are not included in normal NBU binaries.

Please see this extract from the TN that I've posted above:

A number of Symantec Consulting Partners worldwide have been trained on these procedures and certified to deliver them in accordance with standards required by the Symantec technical support organization.

Given the nature of the information stored in the NetBackup catalogs and the potential for data loss, the process of moving or merging the NetBackup catalogs from one platform to another without the assistance of a certified Symantec Consulting Partner is not supported by the Symantec Technical Support organization.

Symantec Consulting Partners will assist customers by determining the correct approach to take, planning the activity and executing the plan successfully with minimum disruption to the operational environment.

Please contact a NetBackup Sales Representative for assistance in engaging a certified Symantec Consulting Partner.  

Zahid_Haseeb

I have read Symantec NetBackup following guide:

Clustered Master Server Administrator's Guide for Windows, UNIX, and Linux Release 7.1, Page # 41

In this above guide we have learnt howto cluster a Veritas Netbackup Master Server. Is there a way to know how to cluster Media Server As well ?
OR 
we can use same procedure as above to create a single Master Media Server as clustered.
But
if yes we can make a single Master Media Server clustered how can we failover the tape Library ?

Marianne
Level 6

We have a number of customers where the clustered master server is also the robot control host and is also sharing tape drives with other media servers.

The tape library and drives need to be zoned to both nodes.

After the clustered master server has been installed and all services/daemons up and running on the active node, run the device config wizard to add robot and tape drives on this node. Then, failover to 2nd node and run the wizard again. You will have a single Storage Unit that is linked to the virtual hostname.

Zahid_Haseeb

You mean that the scenerio will be like that

Clustered Master Server:

Master Server Node-I            Master Server Node-II

Shared Tape Library on both Nodes