cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support for Windows Server 2012 R2?

Henrik_dk
Level 3

Hi,

Does NetBackup 7.5.0.6 support Windows Server 2012 R2 (which should be released today)?

What about 7.6?

Thank you for your help!

Regards

Henrik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Azhar,

2012R2 IS supported now from 7.5.0.6 - check the compatibility guide listed above.

Only as a client at this moment (not as BMR Client, NBAC or SAN Client or servers)

OS CPU Architecture OS Bits NetBackup Client NetBackup Bits BMR Client/Boot Server NBAC SAN Client Minimum NetBackup 7.X Level

Windows Server 2012 R2 [1] x86-64 64 Y 64 7.5.0.6

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Yes it is supported with 7.6

refer http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH76648

look page number 3

Client support for windows 2012 is added for NetBackup 7.5.0.6

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I would not expect a product that was released a couple of months ago to support new OS release/version released today

Best to subscribe to OS compatibily list: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648 
(Last Update: October 1, 2013)

Henrik_dk
Level 3

Hi RahuIG and Marianne,

Thank you for your answers!

Sorry to say, but I can't find Windows Server 2012 R2 in the Software Compatibility List on page 3 - only Windows Server 2012...

Regards

Henrik

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Sorry My Bad I missed R2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This is what I was trying to explain in my reply above:

I would not expect a product that was released a couple of months ago to support new OS release/version released today

NBU 7.5.0.6 was released a couple of months ago with no knowledge of W2012 R2.
NBU 7.6 FA was released earlier this month with no knowledge of W2012 R2.

MP's are supported by default, new releases (R#) probably not.

You can imagine that Symantec will need time to test. It normally takes 3 - 6 months for new OS to be supported.

So, as per my initial reply - best to subscribe to the SCL. You will receive notification as soon as this doc is updated.

Brian_Spooner
Level 5

"No knowledge of W2012 R2" ? Are you kidding me? Like they just found out about it today after it's released.

Symantec dragged their feet terribly with even supporting 2012. They knew R2 was coming -- I sure was hoping they planned ahead and already baked it into 7.6 or started work on a MP already.

CommVault supported 2012 way before Symantec did -- I guess we'll see if that repeats with R2.

Jim-90
Level 6

I was verifying if NBU supported W2k12 SP1 according to the SCL, I see W2K12 support but no SP1 plus you have Server Core becoming more popular its going to make things more interesting.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This wasn't the original poster's question, but the answer to YOUR question is, yes, Windows Server 2012 SP1 is supported, as is Server Core.  See these notes on page 29:

NetBackup (tm) 7.x Operating System Compatibility List (Updated October 1, 2013)
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

NetBackup Client is supported on Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Editions: Foundation, Essentials, Standard, and Datacenter, and with "core" option enabled or
disabled. NetBackup supported functionality is listed in the tables below. 64-bit OS on Intel 64 and AMD64 architectures is supported.

NetBackup Master and Media Server are supported on Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Editions: Foundation, Essentials, Standard, and Datacenter, and with "core"
option enabled or disabled. NetBackup supported functionality is listed in the tables below. 64-bit OS on Intel 64 and AMD64 architectures is supported.

Reference the MSFT web site for information on Editions.

NetBackup Client, Master Server and Media Server are not currently supported on Microsoft Storage Server 2012.

Windows Service Packs (SP) are supported by default, unless noted otherwise below.

AB_Chaudhry
Level 4
Partner

Hi Henrik,

Did you find some traces of support of R2 of Windows 2012 by NetBackup 7.5.0.6 or 7.6? I am into the same situation now and could not find Symantec making any clear statement with confidence for support of Windows 2012 R2 specifically, in SCL or Release Notes.

Regrads.

-Azhar

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Azhar,

2012R2 IS supported now from 7.5.0.6 - check the compatibility guide listed above.

Only as a client at this moment (not as BMR Client, NBAC or SAN Client or servers)

OS CPU Architecture OS Bits NetBackup Client NetBackup Bits BMR Client/Boot Server NBAC SAN Client Minimum NetBackup 7.X Level

Windows Server 2012 R2 [1] x86-64 64 Y 64 7.5.0.6

AB_Chaudhry
Level 4
Partner

Thanks a lot, Revaroo. 

florin_s
Level 4
Certified

hi,

is Hyper-V backup supported for Server 2012 R2?

thanks,

florin