Hi there,

could someone comment on support for the following Devices:

• Oracle Data Appliance X6-2-HA
  • Oracle Data Appliance X3-2
  • Oracle Data Appliance X6-2

with the following OS and Oracle version for Netbackup 8.X:

Linux Version:  "Oracle Linux Server 6.10

Database Version:  Release 12.1.0.2.0

Any experience/pointers in handling the ODA especiall in NBU client installation and configuration will be welcome.

Looking forward to your prompt comments and answers

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@AlexNtowGH 

Have you checked the OS and DB SCLs yet as suggested in your previous post
Master Compatibility List: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000033647

I agree with you that the White Papers on the Oracle website are very old - you may want to reach out to them to update their documentation? 

I have honestly in all my years on this forum not seen anyone with specific experience with Oracle Dabase Appliances.

I found this old White Paper from 2015 : 
https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/database-appliance/documentation/protecting-oda-with-net...

If we look at page 10 under 'Install NetBackup', go to point 2 about Client Install: 

Install NetBackup Client software on each of the database servers.

If I look at the detail that follows - this was a 'stock standard' NBU Client with Oracle agent installation.
The 

This says to me that you can use the regular NBU for Oracle manual to configure agent backups. 

So, if I had to assist a customer with Oracle backups on the Appliances, I would treat this as 'regular' Oracle servers and proceed with installation and configuration. 

If anything goes wrong, we can then troubleshoot in the same manner as normal. 
Check the Troubleshooting chapter of the NBU for Oracle manual to see which logs are needed on Oracle client, NBU master and media server(s).

Marianne,

thanks for the write up. I have checked the NBU HCL and saw nothing refering to the ODA. 

So going back to the Oracle document on Oracle Appliance, one will have to install the NBU agent as you mentioned on the DB servers for backup purposes, really a standard procedure.

I will run this by my local reps from Veritas for their blessings.

Thanks