cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suppose if media server staging disk is crashed

susindran_surul
Level 6

Hi Folks,

I want to know solution for one scenario.

I am running some long distance server backup in the disk and from the disk,we are moving to the tape using vault backup.

-->Suppose my staging SAN disk is crased at the time of vault backup.Here entire SAN arry is failled and no mirror disk aswell :)

--->Any way to recover server backed up data

--->Any idea to make redentancy for thsi scenario

Thanks,

Susi.S

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I wouldn't say replication is a waste, but I think people fail to realise that it doesn't protect against corruption.

If you are happy, please mark the post that helped you the most as the solution.

Martin

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

BTLOMS
Level 5

"Here entire SAN arry is failled and no mirror disk aswell :) "

you must be joking. What array do you have? Did you make it at home?  :)

even a tier 3 array has some kind of redundancy.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It makes no difference what the redundancy is - if it goes it goes.

At my previous company, a very redundant system became corrupted in a way that the manufacturer said was virtually impossible, well it happened and the company suffered a £5 million loss.  It was nobodys fault, it was just a combination of bad luck, but it goes to show what can happen.

To answer your question Susindran, if the disks go that have the actual data then there is NO recovery.

You would have to perhaps try a data recovery company and this is very very very expensive.

I see many customers these days backing up to disk and replicating.  They do not consider what will happen if the backup disk becomes corrupted and replicates the corrupttion to second disk.

That is where tape comes in, yes, tapes can become corrupted, but at least you don't lose everything.

Martin

susindran_surul
Level 6

Hi Sanjeev,

I know it can't happen but still some doubt had....Thinking is differnet way :)

susindran_surul
Level 6

Hi Martin,

This kind of answer i have expected...Thanks....Replication is wate of cost and time..So we can go ahead with our normal duplication concept..

Thanks again..

Susi.S

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I wouldn't say replication is a waste, but I think people fail to realise that it doesn't protect against corruption.

If you are happy, please mark the post that helped you the most as the solution.

Martin