Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspend jobs and bpbkar

Sid1987
Level 6
Certified

Hi Everyone,

Is there any article which clearly states that if you suspend a backup job in netbackup the running bpbkar at client will not consume any cpu?

Thanks

Sid

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Sid1987 wrote:

1. ... so no bpbkar should be running when a backkup is suspended, is it instant or takes time?
2. And when the job is resumed it forks another bpbkar child providing it details of the last checkpoint for it to send data post checkpoint?

1. My experience has been that this not instantaneous.
Please do your own tests. Check processes at OS level and bpbkar log on client.

2. Not sure if it is bpbkar on client or bpbrm on media server that provides checkpoint info on resume.
Best to do your own tests and verify the chain of events though the logs.
I suggest level 3 logs on client and bpbrm on media server.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne

No. There is no such document.

You can proof this for yourself by enabling bpbkar logging. 
There will be an entry that bpbkar is closing/exiting/terminating. 
A further check at OS-level will show no bpbkar running.

Sid1987
Level 6
Certified

@Marianne, Thanks for the reply, so no bpbkar should be running when a backkup is suspended, is it instant or takes time? And when the job is resumed it forks another bpbkar child providing it details of the last checkpoint for it to send data post checkpoint?

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

So when you are suspending the job you are doing it from Activity monitor or CLI.. in any case you are passing the command "bpdbjobs" in background which suspends by that job id.. and when you resume you will be restarting the same job id.. so if you have taken check points then the job would resume from the last checkpoint information it has and will continue to run and complete the backup.

Marianne

@Sid1987 wrote:

1. ... so no bpbkar should be running when a backkup is suspended, is it instant or takes time?
2. And when the job is resumed it forks another bpbkar child providing it details of the last checkpoint for it to send data post checkpoint?

1. My experience has been that this not instantaneous.
Please do your own tests. Check processes at OS level and bpbkar log on client.

2. Not sure if it is bpbkar on client or bpbrm on media server that provides checkpoint info on resume.
Best to do your own tests and verify the chain of events though the logs.
I suggest level 3 logs on client and bpbrm on media server.