cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspended diff-incr MS-Windows policy

dokhook
Level 3

I have suspended diff-incr MS-Windows policy as it's too big to fit in nornal backup window. After working hours backup was normally resumed and completed without error.

Next day when I've started diff-incr backup - it started backing up the same data that was backedup with the previus backup.

Looks to me that archive bit - was not correctly cleared up when I've suspended job. I've did the same thing twice and the same situation happened again.

Media and master srv Win 2008 Ent ed, Netbackup 7.5.0.5

Client Win 2008 Std R2 - Netbacup 7.5.0.5

Policy type: MS-Windows, Take checkpoing every 15min, Collect true image restore information with move detection

If you don't suspend job - next diff-incr backup is not backuping up the same data agian.

What needs to be done to get suspend job work correctly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I recommend you to enable Incrementals based on timestamp in stead of Incrementals based on archive bit.

I think NetBackup is dessigned not to clear archive bit after resume. If bits are cleared after resume, updated files after suspend will not be backed up in next differential backups.This may lead to potential data loss at disaster recovery. Using Incrementals based on timestamp, all the files added or updated after previous backup will be backed up correclty.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I recommend you to enable Incrementals based on timestamp in stead of Incrementals based on archive bit.

I think NetBackup is dessigned not to clear archive bit after resume. If bits are cleared after resume, updated files after suspend will not be backed up in next differential backups.This may lead to potential data loss at disaster recovery. Using Incrementals based on timestamp, all the files added or updated after previous backup will be backed up correclty.