cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspended jobs restart automatically?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Simple, stupid question just to keep you on your toes:

Any reason why a job suspended thru' the Activity Monitor should then literally fail after an undetermined period of time (with Status 157) & restart?

Job initially just sits there as expected in a suspended state. It then fails (big red x) & restarts as a different job id & commences backing up!!!!

Obviously, if I suspend a job I've done it for a reason & therefore would not expect, nor want, NB to suddenly think "OOhh, I know, why don't I start this job again, he must've forgotten all about it Smiley Tongue "

Can't find any timeouts anywhere for length of time job is suspended - maybe it's under the 'lets annoy the operator tab' Smiley Very Happy

NB 6.5.1

Solaris 9 Master/Media

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Well that's confirmed it! (But not sure if it's a FEATURE or a BUG)

@Andy Welburn wrote:

All I can put it down to is the "Clean Up" option "Move backup job from incomplete state to done state". This was set to the default 3 hours and the suspended job 'failed' after 3hours 1minute & 0seconds.

Anyway, have changed this setting to 6 hours so we'll see next time (or sooner if that setting causes me more problems in the meantime).

A job was suspended this morning & 6 hours later it 'failed' & restarted automatically !!!!

(Actually I suspended a child process in a multi-streamed job - for info yesterday it wasn't a multi-streamed job. The other children & parent processes continued running. When all the other child processes finished the parent process then went into a suspended state & then nothing. I presume at this stage I would've had to have waited a further 6 hours to elapse before anything happened. Being impatient, I cancelled the suspended parent process at which point new parent & child processes started.)

So BEWARE - if you suspend a job, check the time in the Master servers "Clean Up" option "Move backup job from incomplete state to done state" as your job will restart after this period has elapsed.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
are all the resources available? has drives? have you try using 6.5.2.a? also this sounds like a bug you can check with symantec also.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Thanks for the response Omar.

It was more a case of why a suspended job should suddenly 'decide' that it didn't want to be suspended anymore. Resources were available I just didn't want it to use them at that time!

As far as 6.5.2a is concerned - I think I might wait for 6.5.3 or 6.5.4 (I may have lost the responsibility for NB by then Smiley Wink )

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Just as an update - we had this happen again where I had to suspend a backup (a colleague wanted to copy the contents of the directory that was being backed up & to prevent disk I/O contention I suspended the backup) & several hours later the job went from 'Suspended' to 'Failed' (157) & then restarted as a different job id.

I had to suspend this new job for a few more hours before it could be resumed & also investigated what setting could be determining this action.

All I can put it down to is the "Clean Up" option "Move backup job from incomplete state to done state". This was set to the default 3 hours and the suspended job 'failed' after 3hours 1minute & 0seconds. Why a suspended job should be deemed to be incomplete is beyond me (I know it IS literally, but you know what I mean ...) it should be a separate entity. It's like cancelleing a job & then NetBackup thinking - "Hang on, I haven't done that yet, let's kick it off again" (oh yeah, it does that as well!!)

Anyway, have changed this setting to 6 hours so we'll see next time (or sooner if that setting causes me more problems in the meantime).

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Thanks for the update,  good info to know.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Well that's confirmed it! (But not sure if it's a FEATURE or a BUG)

@Andy Welburn wrote:

All I can put it down to is the "Clean Up" option "Move backup job from incomplete state to done state". This was set to the default 3 hours and the suspended job 'failed' after 3hours 1minute & 0seconds.

A job was suspended this morning & 6 hours later it 'failed' & restarted automatically !!!!

(Actually I suspended a child process in a multi-streamed job - for info yesterday it wasn't a multi-streamed job. The other children & parent processes continued running. When all the other child processes finished the parent process then went into a suspended state & then nothing. I presume at this stage I would've had to have waited a further 6 hours to elapse before anything happened. Being impatient, I cancelled the suspended parent process at which point new parent & child processes started.)

So BEWARE - if you suspend a job, check the time in the Master servers "Clean Up" option "Move backup job from incomplete state to done state" as your job will restart after this period has elapsed.