cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sybase agent

Stumpr2
Level 6
I know that Netbackup has a Sybase agent but I haven't seen much talk about it. I checked the sybase forum and it's dead. So I thought I might ask in this forum.

Does anyone have experience with the NetBackup Sybase agent? Is it worth the effort or is it better to use another solution to create backups to a local disk and then have Netbackup copy that off to tape?
8 REPLIES 8

dennis_sexton
Level 5
Don't have any experience with Netbackup's sybase agent, but we were never able
to get the one from BMC to work reliably, and we finally went to your solution.

http://www.bmc.com/supportu/hou_Support_ProdVersion/0,3648,19097_0_36900_0,00.html

For all I know, they are the same just re-packaged.

Stumpr2
Level 6
thanks dennis

Stumpr2
Level 6
Anyone else experience sybase agent?

Stumpr2
Level 6
In case anyone is interested...
I decided to not use the Sybase agent mostly due to the lack of use in the NetBackup community. I didn't want to push a product that seems to have such a small user base because I don't think that symantec would have a sympathetic ear for fixes/changes/configurations of a product that they can't spend development dollars on.
The dba's are doing daily dumps to disk and I will backup the dump to tape on a daily basis.

Lamont_Stratus
Level 3
I did one proof of concept, recently, on backing up and restoring Sybase db with NetBackup. I find it easy to configure once I had the info from the Sybase db admin needed for the backup and restore scripts. Backup and restore of Sybase db worked fine. One thing though, all backup and restore done via scripts, client wants gui.

Stumpr2
Level 6
thanks.
Anyone else using the sybase agent?Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

Stumpr2
Level 6
I now have the dba use another solution to create backups to a local disk and then I have Netbackup copy that off to tape.

DavidParker
Level 6
Flat file on disk always works =)
As long as you have the disk space!

Blasted Oracle guys here and their 500GB db's ...