cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Netbackup Staging Jobs

yamyam2011
Level 2

Hi,

Can someone advise me on the following.. We have weekend backups which use the staging processs and then duplicate to media tape. However this weekend these failed..  Normally on a weeked the duplication to tape takes several hours and requires at least 4 tapes.. What happens on a Monday night if the weekends duplications did not complete? Would it try and do the weekend duplication jobs followed by the daily? Reason i ask is we only have 1 tape for daily jobs that go to the staging pool where as on a weekend it requires 4..

Sorry I am still learning netback!! I know with regards back job policies how to change things but I cannot find anywhere to see how the staging jobs work.

Any assistance would be great.. Thanks!!

3 REPLIES 3

Daniel_Allen1
Level 2

I'm just learning about duplication myself since I inherited a system that uses it but when my tape unit crashed all of the duplication jobs started to fail with a status 213.  I never found a way to stop the jobs.  Kill them and they would restart.  Fail on their own with a 213 and they would restart and fail again.  They kept this cycle up until the tape unit was repaired and they were finally able to write to tape.

Are you seeing anything like this in your actvity monitor?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
If it is basic disk staging it will have a schedule set in the storage unit itself The duplications will be kicked off by this, not sure if the order is by date or alphabetically as it reads the system You can also fire it off manually by right clicking on the disk storage unit and selecting manual relocation If it is advanced disk and you use storage lifecycke policies they will kick in within 10 minutes of a backup finishing. If they fail they try again another twice within 10 minutes of each other Then they sleep for 3 hours before starting in cycle again To turn the duplication off you use a command line from the netbackup/bin/admincmd directory Nbstlutil inactive lifecyclename To turn it back on use active See the commands guide for the correct command you need

watsons
Level 6

Assume it's basic disk staging, the schedule of it does not differentiate between a full (weekly) or incremental (daily) backup. It would just duplicate images that only have the first (primary) copy, so you are going to need that 4+1 tapes anyway.