Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System State Backup is failing

RohitNayal
Level 5
Certified

Hi Team ,

I would like to know is there any way I can take the Windows 2008 System State backup if I don't have sufficient space in my C: drive .

I am facing the below error message when taking the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES backup selection for Windows server .

Already check no issue with VSS writers all are in stable status .

Logs :-

2/13/2014 8:52:34 AM - Info bptm(pid=16077) backup child process is pid 16784      
2/13/2014 9:00:12 AM - Warning bpbrm(pid=15940) from client hdqncbfexsql1-bk: WRN - can't open object: Shadow Copy Components:\System Service\Windows Management Instrumentation\WMI (BEDS 0xE0009421: No component files present on the snapshot.)
2/13/2014 9:00:23 AM - Error bpbrm(pid=15940) from client hdqncbfexsql1-bk: ERR - Error encountered while attempting to get additional files for System State:\
2/13/2014 9:00:34 AM - end writing; write time: 00:08:12

When I take the backup of System state it completed without any issue , I would like to know is there any way I can take the backup of system state without Snapshot issue as there is less disk space available on my server and I cannot set the Shadow Copies limit as No Limit .

Master Server OS  Version :  x86_64 GNU/Linux / NBU Version 7.5.0.6
Client Server OS Version : WINDOWS 2008 R2 64 Bit / NBU Version 7.1.0.1

Reagrds

Rohit

5 REPLIES 5

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

what is the snapshot option selected in client attributes..

if it seleted as Global snapshot.. try using the Individual drive snapshot

do you have space in any other Drive than C , if yes you can try chaning the snapshot cache location too

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH160292

RohitNayal
Level 5
Certified

HI Nagalla ,

Issue is in my some of my server only one Disk drive or logical partition is created , hence I cannot change the snapshot location to another drive .

I was looking is there any other way that System state backup won't take VSS option , I knew that as per symantec the drive should have at least 10% free size

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

System State backup works with VSS System writer so as to take stable system image. VSS is mandatory for System State backup.

sabby
Level 4
Certified

MS recommends that the drive shadow copies cache should be assigned 10% of the drive free space. If you are facing space crunch then you can check if there are any hung snapshots in the shadow copy storage,

Try,

vssadmin list shadows /for=C:

and if this command lists any snapshots then you can either delete them individually or on one go,

vssadmin delete shadows /for=C: [/oldest | /all | /shadow=<ShadowID>]

rookie11
   VIP   

As u confirmed writers r stable on server.

1st option On master server -- client attributes -- servername -- selected individual snapshot. take RDP of server with admin rights -- right click on C:\ select shadow storage option -- limit size to about 3-4 GB. it is good enough to get rid of error: WRN - can't open object: Shadow Copy Components:\System Service\Windows Management Instrumentation\WMI (BEDS 0xE0009421: No component files present on the snapshot.)

2nd option On master server -- client attributes -- servername -- selected individual snapshot. take RDP of server with admin rights -- right click on C:\ select shadow storage option -- limit size to about 3-4 or more then redirect this snapshot to disk drive on server D:\, E:\ where u have space available.