cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System State/Shadow Copy Comp/ causing the Windows Cluster to be corrupted

Iwan_Tamimi
Level 6

Hi All, 

We were experiencing two times the cluster database corrupted causing one node cannot join the cluster anymore on Windows 2008 R2. Both happened when NetBackup running the system stat/shadow copy comp. 

Anyone has this experience before? 

Regards, 

Iwan

ps:

NetBackup Version: 7.6.0.2

Master Server Platform: RHel 6.1

Media server Platform: Windows 2008 

Clustered Client: Windows Enterprise Server 2008 R2 with cluster configured. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I cannot imagine that NBU is capable of doing this!
Our customers and fellow Connect members are backing up thousands of cluster nodes on a daily basis without any issues.

The client itself is responsible for collecting data and sending it to NBU.

Take NBU out of the picture - use Windows backup to run a backup of SCC to local disk. 
Let us know the result.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Level 6

I cannot imagine that NBU is capable of doing this!
Our customers and fellow Connect members are backing up thousands of cluster nodes on a daily basis without any issues.

The client itself is responsible for collecting data and sending it to NBU.

Take NBU out of the picture - use Windows backup to run a backup of SCC to local disk. 
Let us know the result.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Have not experienced exactly the problem you describe, but have had some issues with shadow copy components and Windows Clusters.

Often you need a VSS rollup/hotfix for cluster to solve these issues.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Backup of Shadow Copy Components/System State is a API call to Windows for Netbackup. Netbackup may trigger the fault, but I don't think Netbackup IS the fault here :)

Iwan_Tamimi
Level 6

Hi All, 

Thanks for the replies, thank you for the enlightements. 

@Marianne I will suggest to the system owner this, currenlty I take out the shadow copy component backup from the OS backup, but the test could take sometimes. 

@Michael and @Nikolai I will focus on shadow copy component for the investigation. 

Regards, 

Iwan 

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Does the same thing happen if you use e.g. Windows Server Backup ?

Just to conclude or eliminate VSS is the problem

Iwan_Tamimi
Level 6

Hi All, 

I think I agree with all, now we already called a log to our Microsoft support , but they have not back with the solution. As for the how to restore back the cluster they have given us a solution, if you need I will post it here but it is pure microsoft cluster restore solution. 

Regards, 

Iwan 

Marianne
Level 6
As long as we all agree that NBU did not cause this corruption.

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified

Is netbackup client added as a cluster resource? It can run well without being a cluster resource - I have previously experienced random issues when the NBU client is clustered.