cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TIR with move detection

snawaz3
Level 6

My backup policies contained TIR with move detection selected. I read that TIR does not allow file level restore. It allows only folder level restore. I unchecked TIR with move detection and ran a full backup. The backups do not contain all the folders. Why did this happen and how can I get my backup to backup all folders.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
That is possible and known as incremental forever, but when it was first introduced there was a lot of talk about it and eventually the "advice" was to run a real one once a month to ensure you had a verified stable copy of the backup - the fear was that corruption could creep in I have some customers who only do a real one once a year but it is your choice how and if you do a real one Your real issue is that a job that takes 7 to 8 days is just unacceptable and really your place needs to invest in acheiving a better result than that - either by using multiple streams as we talked about in your other thread or by investing in de-dupe, or being able to use a snapshot technology on this data - even the Enterprise client to do flashbackup backups

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

You can restore at file level with TIR enabled, you must select in the restore screen Standard rather than True Image. To restore TIR, you just select True Image Restore in the restore screen. Obviously you MUST have TIR enabled.

As for you re-running a full with TIR disabled and it not backing everything up, did the job complete with a status 0? If not, we'd have to see the bpbkar log with trace logging enabled to see if files are skipped.

snawaz3
Level 6
The jobs completed with stauus 0. But when I go to BAR and and select restore from noemal backup I get the following in attached document. On 15 I had dome a backup with TIR with move detection checked. On 27 I did a backup with TIR with move detection unchecked. I am missing a lot of files on the 27.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
What are you saying is different? They are different shares all together TIR would not make this happen - if a folder is missing it is either excluded or the policy selections are not correct

snawaz3
Level 6
sorry for the wrong screen shot. attached is a new screen shot. on 28 mar i again selected TIR with move detection and all the folders got backed up. I get this screen shot from going to FILE>SELECT FILES AND FOLDERS TO RESTORE>FROM NORMAL BACKUP in BAR.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
On 15th you have 9 jobs - for 27th / 28th you have 18 jobs - is this when you were trying different streams and so have twice as many jobs so only some folders in each backup in each stream? Was TIR the only thing that changed for these dates - it should not cause that difference on full backups

snawaz3
Level 6
on the 27 i did a full backup wIth TIR deselected. screen shot of FILE>SELECT FILES AND FOLDERS TO RESTORE>FROM TIR BACKUP in BAR.on 28 was backup with TIR selected. in the screen shot 27 does not show as i backed up with TIR deselected.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
AH! - I see what you mean I still think this may be down to the changes you were making with this policy whilst testing different streams and that is affecting the TIR results too. Can you be sure both sets are from the same selection lists? You were doing a lot of testings with multiple streams last week that could account for this

snawaz3
Level 6
ok. i know I have been doing a lot of things simultaneously which i reliaze now is a bad idea. I was just trying to reduce the backup time so that my backups of my file server does not take 7 to 10 days to complete. The total size is about 16 TBs. I am thinking of implementing Synthetic Backups. I under stand if a do a normal full backup and then one differential and one cummulative incremental with synthetic backup selected, that will give me a full synthetic backup. That will act as my base full backup for next week, and if I do 3 differntial backups on monday tuesday and wednesday and then do a cummulative incremental on thursday, then my full backup on friday should take less time as it would consolidate my cummulative incremental with the previous full synthetic backup offline.? Does that make sense? that is what I got out of the admin guide. Also any idea how long TIR takes? Would not doing a TIR shorten my backup time? or is that just wishful thinking as TIR does not take up any significant ammount of time?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
TIR will actually increase your backup time slightly as it has to "map" the system and transfer that TIR information before it starts doing the backup The time it takes depends on how many files it has to scan and "map" - so on a huge system it could take quite some time

snawaz3
Level 6
thanks for all the info. any comments on the synthetic backup i am thinking about. will the way i propose doing it work? is my understanding correct?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
For Synthetic you must use TIR with move detection I would generally only do Synthetic to disk and ensuring i had enough disk space to hold everything needed - generally enough for three full copies of a backup - that being the last full, all the incrementals and the next full you are about to create De-Dupe using accelerator would be a better option if you had the licensing or funds to do it - would be way faster for you.

snawaz3
Level 6
do not have de dupe. i am sure i have enough disk storage. so my regular full with TIR selected should complete by wednesday. if i do a differntial on wednesday evening and a cummulative increment with synthetic selected on thursday, would that be enough to do a full backup with synthetic selected on friday?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
As long as you have a real Full and a real incremental then you will be able to do a Synthetic Full afterwards It is worth having schedules for each - so maybe a real full once a month, incrementals daily and sysnthetic fulls weekly Hope this helps

snawaz3
Level 6
from what i read i got the impression that i would have to do a normal full just once. then the differentials and the cummulative incremental, after that the synthetic full. the cummaltive incremental would consolidate all the differentials and the normal full. after that the synthetic full would become the base line for the cummalative incremental. i would not have to do another normal full. the problem is with the normal full. that is the one that runs for 7 to 8 days. i was hoping to get 1 normal full done and out of the way.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
That is possible and known as incremental forever, but when it was first introduced there was a lot of talk about it and eventually the "advice" was to run a real one once a month to ensure you had a verified stable copy of the backup - the fear was that corruption could creep in I have some customers who only do a real one once a year but it is your choice how and if you do a real one Your real issue is that a job that takes 7 to 8 days is just unacceptable and really your place needs to invest in acheiving a better result than that - either by using multiple streams as we talked about in your other thread or by investing in de-dupe, or being able to use a snapshot technology on this data - even the Enterprise client to do flashbackup backups

snawaz3
Level 6

Thanks mark_solutions. I am trying to stepup snapshot and am getting an error message. i am creating a new thread for this.