cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TLD(0) cannot dismount drive 1, slot 22 already is full

H_Sharma
Level 6

Hello Experts,

1:- Pls let me know why am i getting this error. and pls let me know to troubleshoot it in Windows 2008 Server with 7.6 NBU. Media servers are in Solaris 10.

TLD(0) cannot dismount drive 1, slot 22 already is full?

2:- Can we run inventory and update EMM when backup is writing to tapes and backups are running?

Thanks,

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So, someone opened the robot while a tape was in a drive and manually put tapes in empty slots.

Yes, you can perform inventory while backups are running, but the MAP/CAP should be used to enter tapes into the robot. The robot knows where empty slots are (not slots belonging to tapes in drives) and put tapes there.

You now need to manually remove the tape in slot 22 or else the tape in drive 1 by using robtest or manually opening the robot (rather use robtest), and then Inventory the robot to update contents.

View solution in original post

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

I think you already know what is wrong. Assume you're a tape and you're living in slot 22. You go to work in drive 1 in the morning. When you return in the evening you find someone else living in your slot, not cool, hey?

What happened?

When you were at work, someone (NetBackup/Tape Library/Media Administrator) decided to do a tape eject and evicted all of your neighbours from their slots (they're unemployed) and were at home. You were at work so you didn't get the memo. Then he put new neighbours in the slots, including yours.

NetBackup does not dynamically update locations, it cannot give you a new slot. It only knows what your slot was, and wants to put you back there. Hence the error.

Fix

run robtest

look for empty slot

move the media from the drive to the new slot (m dX sX) (X being the drive or slot number)

re-inventory

or if no slots free, open the libary and take the tape out manually, then re-inventory.

Say no to unlawful evictions, lol

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6

So, someone opened the robot while a tape was in a drive and manually put tapes in empty slots.

Yes, you can perform inventory while backups are running, but the MAP/CAP should be used to enter tapes into the robot. The robot knows where empty slots are (not slots belonging to tapes in drives) and put tapes there.

You now need to manually remove the tape in slot 22 or else the tape in drive 1 by using robtest or manually opening the robot (rather use robtest), and then Inventory the robot to update contents.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

I think you already know what is wrong. Assume you're a tape and you're living in slot 22. You go to work in drive 1 in the morning. When you return in the evening you find someone else living in your slot, not cool, hey?

What happened?

When you were at work, someone (NetBackup/Tape Library/Media Administrator) decided to do a tape eject and evicted all of your neighbours from their slots (they're unemployed) and were at home. You were at work so you didn't get the memo. Then he put new neighbours in the slots, including yours.

NetBackup does not dynamically update locations, it cannot give you a new slot. It only knows what your slot was, and wants to put you back there. Hence the error.

Fix

run robtest

look for empty slot

move the media from the drive to the new slot (m dX sX) (X being the drive or slot number)

re-inventory

or if no slots free, open the libary and take the tape out manually, then re-inventory.

Say no to unlawful evictions, lol

Greek-God
Level 3
Employee Accredited

Hi , Please follow the technotes regarding robtest -

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH29201

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH83129

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
If we're doing analogies .... think of it like this ... Marianne takes her flashl new sports car for a drive. Unknown to Marianne, I have flown over for a surprise visit and upon seeing Mariannes garage is empty, I park in there out of the hot sun. Marianne returns home and finds she cannot get her car in the garage because some numpty Symantec engineer parked in there ...

RiaanBadenhorst

smiley