cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TLD(2) [2484] unable to connect to tldcd on pmedia-dmz: cannot connect to robotic software daemon (42)

asem_hamamdi
Level 2

Hi  all;

We have the following case;

In the event logs we have the following messages:

TLD(2) [2484] unable to connect to tldcd on pmedia-dmz: cannot connect to robotic software daemon (42)

TLD(2) unavailable: initialization failed: Control daemon connect or protocol error.

These messages exist on the media backup servers (exchange server).

Media server : windows 2008 with Netbackup 7.1.0.2

Master server: windows 2003 with Netbackup 7.1.0.2.

Kindly advise.

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Is this a new setup that has never worked before? Or worked before but no longer working?

Is there a firewall between master and media servers? Can you confirm that pbx (1556) and vnetd (13724) ports are open between master and media servers?
Have you confirmed that forward and reverse name lookup is working in all directions?

Run the following on master and post output:

nbemmcmd -getemmserver

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

In the event logs we have the following messages:

TLD(2) unavailable: initialization failed: Control daemon connect or protocol error.

From this, I suspect your RCH pmedia-dmz is in a DMZ.

I will hazard a guess, that the other two exchange servers are not.

The media servers will be using tape drives, but they need to send requests about loading tapes etc ... to the robot control host ( pmedia-dmz) - tldd on the two exchange servers needs to connect to tldcd which is the process on the robot control host that communicates directly with the library.  Clearly, we see here that this communication can not take place.

1.  From the media servers do these commands work :

telnet pmedia-dmz 13724

telnet pmedia-dmz 1556

For example, it should connect like this :

root@womble  $ telnet mhwin2008 13724

Trying 10.12.236.42...
Connected to mhwin2008.
Escape character is '^]'

(ctrl-c to break, or just leave it and it will time out)

It these commands do not connect, you have a network issue, probably a firewall issue.

Eddited to remove/ ignore this bit ..

I think at NBU 6 onwards, we connect to tldcd using vnetd, so in fact I think we only need port 13724 open

As Marianne has correctly pointed out to me via email, we actually connect via PBX, my error ..

So you need to test both ports as suggested.

Regards,

Martin