cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape Drive/Library Firmware upgrade- Requires NBU/LTID restart ?

a_la_carte
Level 5

Hello Folks,

We are planning to upgrade the firmware version of all 8 tape drives of our existing Oracle SL150 library in our NetBackup environment.

Just wanted to know whether upgrading the firmware at Library/tape drive end requires any LTID restart or complete NetBackup restart ?

As far as I know, LTID restart is only required whenever there is any new addition/change/delete in tape drive configuration.

Just want to confirm if such a restart is really required for tape drive firmware upgrade too.

Please suggest.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Does not require to restart NBU or litd.

just make sure all jobs that points to the tape drives are suspened/cancled or redirected, then process with the firmware upgrade..

good luck.

View solution in original post

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

1; down drives

2: Firmware update drive & robot.

3: cycle Netbackup

4: Test backup AND RESTORE

Agree - best to stop/start Netbackup. If the firmware upgrade breaks something, you want to discover this right away and not in 2-3 weeks during a break down.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

a_la_carte
Level 5

A brief about NBU environment:-

Master Server (Clustered) : Win2008 R2 64-bit

2 Media Servers (LDOMS): Solaris 11

Tape Library: SL150 with 8 LTO-6 tape drives.

RamNagalla

Does not require to restart NBU or litd.

just make sure all jobs that points to the tape drives are suspened/cancled or redirected, then process with the firmware upgrade..

good luck.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Since the library will be power-cycled for the upgrade, it means downtime on the hardware.

For this reason I would recommend to stop NBU on media servers as well to prevent NBU probing for devices while maintenance is in progress.

Run scan after library maintenance to ensure OS and NBU still sees devices fine before starting NBU again.

Not a requirement - just precaution.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

1; down drives

2: Firmware update drive & robot.

3: cycle Netbackup

4: Test backup AND RESTORE

Agree - best to stop/start Netbackup. If the firmware upgrade breaks something, you want to discover this right away and not in 2-3 weeks during a break down.

a_la_carte
Level 5

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Definately, we have it in our plan to stop NBPEM and suspend/cancel any active/queued running backup jobs, clearing all NBRB allocations and freeing up tape drives by moving tapes to slots before proceeding with this activity. Also, we would be resuming the NBPEM once done with the upgrade.

So, if I understand this correctly, though its not necessary to STOP/START netbackup for tape drive firmware upgrade activity, it's always good to have.

RamNagalla

correct... and agreed with Marianne and Nicolai :)

sdo

You may also want/need to update your device mappings file for NetBackup - see the compatibility list:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH59978.html

FYI - sometimes, after a firmware patch, the library and/or drives appear (to NetBackup) to have different identification strings/names, and so... sometimes, either:

a) You don't have to anything else

b) You need to update device mappings, AND restart NBU device services.

c) Update device configuration (e.g. re-run discovery wizard), AND restart NBU device services.

d) Update device mappings AND update device configuration (e.g. re-run discovery wizard), AND restart NBU device services.

e) And sometimes, the new 'device name strings' of the firrmware patched library and/or firmware patched tape drives, is so new... that they are not listed in the currently issued (by Symantec) device mappings filr for NetBackup - and so you have to open a support case to get an engineer help you 'manually tweak' a device mappings file so that NetBackup can once again recognise the devices.

No-one can tell you which of these you may, or may not, have to do - or what will happen after your firmware patch - without experiance of exactly your configuration nor without deeply/closely investigating the differences between your version of currently installed device mappings file and the currently available for downaload version - and/or the release notes for the firmware updates for both library and drives.

jim_dalton
Level 6

Me I would down one drive, upgrade it, test backups and restores.

That way youve tested the drive FW in a single change, thats the only change hence proves the new FW.

I would then do each drive in single thread if I had the need to maintain functionality.

Lastly I'd do the robotics. Overall this would give you least downtime. Jim

Anonymous
Not applicable

See my HOWTO article from couple of years ago with detailed process and command lines.

Should be still relevant today - 7.6 era.

HOWTO - Update tape library firmware with minimal impact on NetBackup 6.5, 7.0, 7.1