Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape Drives are not writing

skrp
Level 4
Certified

Hello All,

I have an issue with my tape drives as they are not writing although they are visible as available on Netbackup and I have tapes in the library.

Master server: Netbackup 7.5.0.7

Media Server: Netbackup 7.5

Can someone please help. Let me know if you need any logs.

Regards,

Saikishore P

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

What is the history of the issue

When did it last work

What has been changed

What does activity monitor show when you try a job

Does it actually load a tape etc ...

As a 'you could try this' when no jobs are running (else we will kill them) run:

nbrbutil -resetall

We occassionally see what I term 'ghost allocations' where reservations exist but do not show in nbrbutil -dump. This would get rid of them.  Next, with NBU services stopped (or at least media manager stopped) look for any files in :

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/media/drives and /usr/openv/netbackup/db/media/tpreq dir.

If there are any files in wither of these dirs, delete them.

Restart vol manager and try again.

View solution in original post

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This is useful info, thanks :

Activity monitor says that there are no drives available although we have one tape free

Please show us how the storage unit is configured, NBU device config and status of drives.

Run these commands and post the output here:

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpstulist -U
(must be uppercase U)

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpconfig -l

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmoprcmd -d

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

When did it last work

What has been changed

As a 'you could try this' when no jobs are running (else we will kill them) run:

nbrbutil -resetall

We occassionally see what I term 'ghost allocations' where reservations exist but do not show in nbrbutil -dump. This would get rid of them.  Next, with NBU services stopped (or at least media manager stopped) look for any files in :

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/media/drives and /usr/openv/netbackup/db/media/tpreq dir.

skrp
Level 4
Certified

Hi mph999

Thanks for the response. Here are my answers.

We have this happening from about an year. We have two tape drives and one them always works but we have an issue with the other one. Raised a case with support vendor but they've concluded that there's no hardware issue. Even I understand that it shouldn't be a hardware error because I can move the tape in robtest.

When did it last work
When we had similar issue a week ago. We had removed the tape drives from OS and application level and then reconfigured them back and restarted the services and both started working again

What has been changed
Nothing has been changed

Activity monitor says that there are no drives available although we have one tape free

It is not loading the tape

nbrbutil -resetall

I have tried this already but didn't work for the other drive

We occassionally see what I term 'ghost allocations' where reservations exist but do not show in nbrbutil -dump. This would get rid of them. Next, with NBU services stopped (or at least media manager stopped) look for any files in :

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/media/drives and /usr/openv/netbackup/db/media/tpreq dir.

Even tried this but it didn't work

Regards,

Saikishore P

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This is useful info, thanks :

Please show us how the storage unit is configured, NBU device config and status of drives.

Run these commands and post the output here:

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpstulist -U
(must be uppercase U)

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpconfig -l

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmoprcmd -d

skrp
Level 4
Certified

Hi Team,

Thank you very much for the swift response. I get my solution here almost every time. Feel lucky to be part of this forum. 

Both the drives are working fine now. I had to reconfigure them again and restart all the services and they started working again. I'll update if I have an issue again.

Regards,

Saikishore P