cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape Duplication w/o Vault

raiden163
Level 3

I know you can duplicate tapes without Vault, but does anyone know if you can AUTOMATE tape duplication without Vault? I have some policies that write to a VTL. It's fast and works great. But I'd like to be able to duplicate these images to physical tape so I can transport them off-site (for compliance reasonss).

I was thinking of maybe scripting the CLI command (bpduplicate w/ the necessary parameters) but didn't know how to account for the different tapes that would be used.

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated. . .

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified

When you duplicate you're actually duplicating the backup images and not necessarily tapes.

So you can use bpimagelist and find your images that you need to duplicate and then use bpduplicate to make the copy.

Perhaps create an offsite volume pool where you want to put the duplicates.  Then when it comes time to send tapes offsite you know exactly which tapes are suppose to go off.

Message Edited by Nathan Kippen on 09-25-2008 08:27 AM

raiden163
Level 3

Thanks for the prompt response. What you suggest would help find the images I want to duplicate but I am looking for a way to automate (script?) backup jobs that ran over the weekend and send them to physical tape, w/o having to manually search for the images.

I know this example isn't entirely accurate but it may help illustrate my point. I was thinking maybe trying to script something like this:

bpduplicate -dstunit <storage_unit> -dp <destination_volume_pool> -hoursago <# hours>

So such a script could be run on, say, Sunday nights for example to duplicate everything that ran since Friday night. I could set the hours_ago parameter to 36 hours or so.

Is something like this a feasible solution?

Thanks.

Darren_Dunham
Level 6

Should work fine.   Are you running into problems?

--

Darren 

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

If you are runing 6.5.x you can configure SLP's and duplicates will run automaticly based on the SLP configuration, other way without vault bpduplicate is the only way I see or you can use a third party tool from your VTL to push that data to tape, something like a deduplicating.

regards