cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape Resource Multiplier

BTLOMS
Level 5

Could someone please explain what this does in SLP parameters? Yes I read the description in the GUI and also some of the documentation, but I just cannot understand how this works.

NBU 7.6.02

20 drives

What would you think is the best number for Tape Resource Multiplier ?

Right now, its set to 2.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This value determines the number of duplication jobs that the Resource Broker will evaluate for granting access to a singl e destination storage unit. Storage unit configuration includes limiting the number of jobs that can access the resource at one time.

The Maximum concurrent write drives value in the storage unit definition specifies the maximum number of jobs that the Re source Broker can assign for writing to that resource. Overloading the Resource Broker with jobs that it can’t run is not prudent. However, we want to make sure that there’s enough work queued so that the devices won’t become idle.

The TAPE_RESOURCE_MULT IPLIER parameter lets administrators tune the amount of work that is being evaluated by the Resource Broker for a particular destination storage unit.

For example, a particular storage unit contains 3 write drives. If the TAPE_RESOURCE_MULTIPLIER parameter is set to 2, then the Resource Broker will consider 6 duplication jobs for write access to the destination storage unit.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

There is a description in the SLP best pratices guide.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73205

Page 16.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This value determines the number of duplication jobs that the Resource Broker will evaluate for granting access to a singl e destination storage unit. Storage unit configuration includes limiting the number of jobs that can access the resource at one time.

The Maximum concurrent write drives value in the storage unit definition specifies the maximum number of jobs that the Re source Broker can assign for writing to that resource. Overloading the Resource Broker with jobs that it can’t run is not prudent. However, we want to make sure that there’s enough work queued so that the devices won’t become idle.

The TAPE_RESOURCE_MULT IPLIER parameter lets administrators tune the amount of work that is being evaluated by the Resource Broker for a particular destination storage unit.

For example, a particular storage unit contains 3 write drives. If the TAPE_RESOURCE_MULTIPLIER parameter is set to 2, then the Resource Broker will consider 6 duplication jobs for write access to the destination storage unit.

BTLOMS
Level 5

so I have 20 drives, and TAPE_RESOURCE_MULTIPLIER parameter is set to 2. This means it should consider 40 jobs. But i see it has only initiated 6 jobs.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

TAPE_RESOURCE_MULTIPLIER does not override other restrictions in Netbackup like "max number of dirves" in a storage unit. To be honnest I do not think you have a problem with TAPE_RESOURCE_MULTIPLIER. Its a default value that work pretty good.  If it needed tweaking I am sure you could find mant tech notes telling you to alter the value

You may have allocation haning that are not cleared

See https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/idle-tape-drives-duplication-jobs-queueing#comment-6980811

and

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126575

Best Regards

Nicolai