cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape assigned time more recent than the image assigned time

Patrick_Whelan_
Level 6

Hi All,

What, if any, are the repurcussions of having the assigned time of the tape more recent than the images on the tape?

NBU 7.1.?

Regards,

Patrick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

In answer to the question ...

What, if any, are the repurcussions of having the assigned time of the tape more recent than the images on the tape?

= None

Martin (UK Symantec Senior TSE)

Ahh, I mis-read the question a little ....

Technically, the answer I gave is correct ....

For example, I could create some backups on the tape, expire only the tape (leaving the images behind in the image DB) and then recreate the media databse entry for the tape with a assign time I pick out of thin air - it will work perfectly fine - hence, why my answer is correct.

BUT ...

A assign time, later than the images on the tape, could indicate that the tape has been overwritten.

So, in order to maintain the 'solved status' of the post that you have geberously given, this is the only option you have :

Log call with Symantec and request a NBCC check.

If you have expired a tape and cannot import with fragment 1 missing it MIGHT indicate that his has happened.  NBCC is the correct way to investigate this issue further.

Martin

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

If you have unrestricted medias sharing enabled, media can be assigned to diffrent host after image creation time.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Tape gets assigned before (or as) the first images are being written, so cannot envisage any situation where this would be reversed - or are you now going to tell me that that's what you've encountered?

***EDIT***

Thanks Nicolai!

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please post output of :
nbemmcmd -listmedia -mediaid <media-id>

Please also share other evidence that you have?

Patrick_Whelan_
Level 6

In answer to some of the questions. Yes we have this situation on 32 tapes. I occured when upgrading from 7.1.0.2.

We have a case open with Symantec, and their suggestion was to expire the tape an re-import it. We tried this with one tape and lost everything as the import failed saying that fragment 1 was missing.

We are fixing all this, but the real answer I was looking for was the one from Martin.

Thanks all.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

In answer to the question ...

= None

Martin (UK Symantec Senior TSE)

Ahh, I mis-read the question a little ....

Technically, the answer I gave is correct ....

For example, I could create some backups on the tape, expire only the tape (leaving the images behind in the image DB) and then recreate the media databse entry for the tape with a assign time I pick out of thin air - it will work perfectly fine - hence, why my answer is correct.

BUT ...

A assign time, later than the images on the tape, could indicate that the tape has been overwritten.

So, in order to maintain the 'solved status' of the post that you have geberously given, this is the only option you have :

Log call with Symantec and request a NBCC check.

If you have expired a tape and cannot import with fragment 1 missing it MIGHT indicate that his has happened.  NBCC is the correct way to investigate this issue further.

Martin