cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape contains NetBackup Database data and cannot be used for backups.

Annalise_Famigl
Level 2
Hi,

I'm a newbie to this product and am having some problems with re-using tapes. The tapes I'm struggling with are the ones that were original used for the catalog backups.

I've since moved the catalog backups to different tapes but I'm unable to figure out how to make the orignal tapes available for regular backups.

I've tried bpexpdate with no success. When I try to erase the tape it gets frozen because it has the database data on it.

Any ideas?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stumpr2
Level 6

first, please do not attach questions or remarks on old threads. It is better to open a new post and place a link to the threads that you are referencing.

It sounds like the internal label inside the cartridge written on the physical tape still exists. relabel the internal tape via the bplabel command or through the GUI. If you have already done that then do it again and look for any errors.It has to successfully pass the labeling process before the tape can be re-used.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Stumpr2
Level 6
You need to deassign and relabel them.
Here's a 3 step technote.

How to reuse or recycle unnecessary NetBackup database catalog tapes for normal backups with NetBackup 4.5 or later
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/273044.htm

Details:
In order to reuse tapes that were previously used for VERITAS NetBackup (tm) database catalog backups, perform the following two steps:

Caution: Once these steps have been performed, the original data on the tape is destroyed and lost - make certain beforehand that verification has been done on all the tapes on which this operation is to be performed, and that they are indeed tapes that can be overwritten.

Perform the following commands on the volume database host (usually the NetBackup master server):

Step 1. Determine which tapes are catalog backup tapes on your system:
A single command that will return a list of catalog tapes is this:
# /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmquery -a -w |awk '$28==1 {print $1}'

However, for detailed verification, you could run the following command to generate a list of all tapes:

# /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmquery -a > /tmp/vmquery.out

After the output file is created, use the editor of choice to examine the file. In order to determine which tapes are catalog tapes, search for the status string "0x1" (see output below). This status indicates that it is a catalog backup tape. Record the media IDs for future use.

After identifying all of the catalog backup tapes, the active catalog backup tapes should be identified. To identify the currently configured tapes, run the following command:

# /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpsyncinfo

Caution: These active catalog backup media IDs must NOT be overwritten or destroyed. Take special care to avoid the following procedure on the active catalog backup media and any other catalog backup media that you wish to keep.

The example of the vmquery -a output below shows two different types of NetBackup tapes. The status 0x0 is a NetBackup backup tape and the status 0x1 indicates a tape that has been used for a NetBackup catalog database backup.

===================================================
media ID: CAN000
media type: DLT cartridge tape (11)
barcode: --------
description: Added by Media Manager
volume pool: NetBackup (1)
robot type: TLD - Tape Library DLT (8)
robot number: 0
robot slot: 1
robot host: NBsrv1
volume group: 00_000_TLD
created: Thu Apr 05 08:38:01 2001
assigned: Thu Jun 14 10:47:08 2001
last mounted: Thu Jun 14 10:48:35 2001
first mount: Thu Apr 05 09:00:22 2001
expiration date: ---
number of mounts: 3
max mounts allowed: ---
==========================================
media ID: 000101
media type: DLT cartridge tape (11)
barcode: --------
description: ------
volume pool: NetBackup (1)
robot type: TLD - Tape Library DLT (8)
robot number: 0
robot slot: 2
robot host: NBsrv1
volume group: 00_000_TLD
created: Thu Apr 05 08:45:00 2001
assigned: Sat Jun 02 08:35:06 2001
last mounted: Fri Jun 22 01:44:28 2001
first mount: Thu Apr 05 08:45:52 2001
expiration date: ---
number of mounts: 14
max mounts allowed: ---
========================================

Step 2. Unassign the tapes you wish to re-use:
# /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmquery -deassignbyid

Example:
# /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmquery -deassignbyid 000101 1 0x1

Step 3. Overwrite the tape label:
NOTE: This will effectively erase any previous information on the tape.

# /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bplabel -m -d

Example for robotic volume:
# /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bplabel -m 000101 -d dlt -o -p NetBackup

Example for standalone tapedrive:
# /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bplabel -m 000101 -d dlt -o -p NetBackup -n Quantum_DLT8000

Note: If this is a standalone tape system, the tape must already be in the drive specified above - this may take manual intervention.

These steps will remove the information from the volume database and write a new label to the tape, effectively erasing any previous information on the tape, which can now be used for NetBackup backups.Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

Annalise_Famigl
Level 2
Thanks. I'll give that a try.

TempoVisitor
Level 4
I think vmquery -deassignbyid is quite violent.
You should also know that a tape is assigned for catalog backup only it its configured for it. Once you modify your Configure NetBackup Catalog Backup parameters to point to another tape, it's automaticaly deassigned. (bpsyncinfo -U given by Bob is the best way to gete the list of current assigned tapes).

If u tried to use the tapes for backup, they are frozen.
bpmedia -unfreeze -m MEDIAID
this will deassign the tape, send it back to scratch (if any) but will not change touch the tape itslef.

then, or if the tapes have never been frozen :
bplabel -m MEDIAID -d density -o -p POOLNAME

density is lower case, example dlt, dlt2, 8mm
-o for no confirmation asked
The POOLNAME should be your scratch pool if ur in 5.0, because the deassignation put the volume back to scratch.

kerkael

rclegarto
Level 4
Certified
I've got the same problem..

I've already tried what has been suggested above, but still no luck. I am still being prompted with the same remarks.

Note, when I run the vmquery -m command, the tape status was not 0x1. It was just 0x0 yet it's giving me the "Netbackup database backup data found on tape so can't re-use".

Could this be that the tape is already defective or write protected?

Stumpr2
Level 6

first, please do not attach questions or remarks on old threads. It is better to open a new post and place a link to the threads that you are referencing.

It sounds like the internal label inside the cartridge written on the physical tape still exists. relabel the internal tape via the bplabel command or through the GUI. If you have already done that then do it again and look for any errors.It has to successfully pass the labeling process before the tape can be re-used.

Francis_Doran
Level 4
Hi Guys

If you wanted to, you could manually erase the tapes your self.

For example you could use Robtest to mount the desired tape to particular drive then erase the contents of that tape.

# mt -f /dev/rmt/<n>cbn status
# mt -f /dev/rmt/<n>cbn erase

Only downside is that it could take an hour or so to erase the tape.

rclegarto
Level 4
Certified
Now I understand you on not putting remarks on old threads. I wanted to tag this as solution and now I can't coz its not my topic. So sorry. I will do better next time