cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape drive not showing after the device configuration

RamK619
Level 3

Hi All,

I got a problem in my two tape drives, Which has been configured on my SUN OS media server, Where the HP tape drives are visible on OS end, I confirmed this by running scan command.

When i try to do device configuration its listing on the wizard and i can able to see its properities, After completing the device configuration, I can't see it under devices.

Please advise on this 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

How does this output compare with 'scan' command done on the media server at more or less the same time?

The master is actually requesting 'tpautoconf -t' and 'tpautoconf -r' output from the media server, which is similar to 'scan'. 

How many tape drives are actually connected to the media server?
Is persistent binding in place?
Device entries of 134 and 135 seems excessive if there are really that many devices attached to the media server.

High number of device files could also be the result of no persistent binding in place, resulting in devices receiving new device entries in /dev/rmt upon each reboot.

If you delete all files in /dev/rmt and rebuild device entries using 'devfsadm', how many /dev/rmt/*cbn entries?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6

Did you allow the wizard to restart daemons after configuration?

Please show us output of '/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpconfig -l' on the media server.

RamK619
Level 3

Hi Marianne,

Yes, I have waited till the daemons get re-started. It's a restrict environement, So icant get the log outside. But i can confirm you that the drives are listing on scan command, and not listing on tpconfig -l output.

Marianne
Level 6

This means that the device config was unsuccessful.

Is there a firewall between master and media server?

Have you confirmed comms on port 1556 as well as forward and reverse lookup between master and media server?

Have you confirmed that all necessary license keys are added to the media server?
- Enterprise server (or Enterprise Client if SAN media server)
- Library-based tape drives
- SSO (if tape drives are shared)

Try this command on the master and let us know what happens:

vmoprcmd -h <media-server> -timeout 3600 -autoconfig  -a

(This command is similar to the device config wizard.)

RamK619
Level 3

Hi Marianne,

Fire wall is opened from Master to media

Port 1556 is opened from Master to media and vise versa.

No miss on keys,  As its worked and now its not working,

We have recently chaged the tape drives, I have attached the output of vmoprcmd -h <media-server> -timeout 3600 -autoconfig  -a command where its showing the missed drives in output.

Marianne
Level 6

How does this output compare with 'scan' command done on the media server at more or less the same time?

The master is actually requesting 'tpautoconf -t' and 'tpautoconf -r' output from the media server, which is similar to 'scan'. 

How many tape drives are actually connected to the media server?
Is persistent binding in place?
Device entries of 134 and 135 seems excessive if there are really that many devices attached to the media server.

High number of device files could also be the result of no persistent binding in place, resulting in devices receiving new device entries in /dev/rmt upon each reboot.

If you delete all files in /dev/rmt and rebuild device entries using 'devfsadm', how many /dev/rmt/*cbn entries?

Elango_G1
Level 4

could you also please check the drivers are installed properly in the media server?

i used to compare the following commands to confirm the missing drives,

tpconfig -l (shows the drives at NBU level)

tpautoconf -t (shows the drives at OS level)

tpautoconf -report_disc (shows the missing drives)

WVT
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified
sg driver stuff done? You should go through the sg build regardless...