Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape library hardware issue

IT_guys
Level 4

WhatsApp Image 2017-05-08 at 23.05.02.jpeg

Dear All,

From the error message, it looks like the tape library hardware issue. The tape library used for backup for two weeks after replace the new one.  I would like to confirm if there is SCSI cable or Tape drive or library issue.  

Thanks,

Alfred

13 REPLIES 13

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Is this coming from syslogs or the file name HWlog... Looks to be hardware issue.. 

But would also be important to know.. if you have reconfigured everything with the new library in netbackup.. and if you saw any configuration issues even before going for backup..

Thiago_Ribeiro
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi IT_guys If I understood correctly this robot is attached on unix media server right? If yes, take a look this article, there are many troubleshooting for Unix/ https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH169477 Regards, Thiago

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Where exactly is this error log coming from?

Have you checked /var/adm/messages?
SCSI errors will be logged here and give a better idea if errors are device-related or connection related.

What errors do you see in NBU?
Have you enabled logging as suggested in TN mentioned above?

Are your devices REALLY connected via SCSI? 
If so, how old is this 'new' library actually?

I have honestly not seen SCSI-attached tape drives and library in about 10 years...

Sorry reply all you later!

The problem has been fixed 

Thank you all for your helpSmiley Happy

Marianne

@IT_guys

HOW was the problem fixed?

You are not helping anybody by not telling us anything!

Thiago_Ribeiro
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

@Marianne, Its right, share with us the solution.

Thanks,

Thiago 

I don't do anything just the message not occured again.  Health check no error message.  I think the problem should be on hardware but we dont have budget to replace hardware or upgrade the new NBU. 

Marianne

@IT_guys

Can we ask that you reply to attempts to help you from now on?

You will see that I have asked a bunch of questions a month ago.

If you do not want our assistance, then please do not ask...

All of us trying to assist here are doing so in our own time.

I run the robtest, run initial and other options command, it is run completed then show invalid command.  Then I open up the NBU console ,  the device montior show it down status, and manual to up the drive and run the test policy, it completed successful.    I run scan and sgscan and tpconfig -d to show the drive is up.  I replaced the whole tape library previously and two tape drives as well, and not sure if there is the same hardware problem issue. 

Marianne

Questions still unanswered that will help YOU determine where exactly the issue is (HBA, cable(s) or devices):

Where exactly is this error log coming from?

Have you checked /var/adm/messages?
SCSI errors will be logged here and give a better idea if errors are device-related or connection related.

Have you enabled logging as suggested in TN mentioned above?

Are your devices REALLY connected via SCSI? 

I don't see if any error message on the SCSI, I try to remove the robot and drive on device monitor, then reconfigure the device, it able to run the robot test. 

The autoloader use the SCSI to connect the backup server,  can you let me know how to enable the TN logging 

Thank you guy ! let  me take a look