cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape library needs to be removed, but the backup tapes still need to be available for recovery

MJ-NBU-Newbee
Level 2

We have a NetBackup 7.6.1.2 Enterprise server, running on Windows 2008 R2 x64bit. Our situation is this, we have a HP MSL8096 tape library that must be moved to another enterprise backup system to expand that's systems tape backup/restore capabilities. The the MSL8096 has LTO5 tape drives, and wrote to LTO 5 tapes. These tapes will still have valid data backup for 90 days, and need to be available for a possible restore until they expire. We have a stand alone backup device, with 2 - LTO 5 drives that is part of the current NetBackup system, and was used for backups of other systems. What is the process for me to ensure that I will be able to use the stand alone drives to recover data from tapes, in the event that data is needed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If the standalone drive is on the same media server that the library was attached to, then simply put tape in drive and run restore.  you may have to confirm any pending request NBU throws up, but apart from that, it should be fine.

If the robot drives were attached to a different media server, then I would use :

bpmedia -movedb -m media_id -newserver <name of media server with standalone drivve>

To assign the tapes to the media server with the drives, then follow advice at the top of this post.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If the standalone drive is on the same media server that the library was attached to, then simply put tape in drive and run restore.  you may have to confirm any pending request NBU throws up, but apart from that, it should be fine.

If the robot drives were attached to a different media server, then I would use :

bpmedia -movedb -m media_id -newserver <name of media server with standalone drivve>

To assign the tapes to the media server with the drives, then follow advice at the top of this post.

MJ-NBU-Newbee
Level 2

mph999

That's right!!!! I have seen this before and know exactly what you are saying. Thank you so much for your quick response, and valuable input!