cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape not ejecting after Backup Job

nairdheeraj
Level 4
Hello... I am facing a issues with Windows Netbackup 5.1 MP5. I am using an DELL autoloader as the backup device and for some reason everytime any backup job completes the tape is not ejected from the Drive. Initially I thought I was a problem with the Tape unit and I got it replaced. But even after that the issue still remains. I am  not sure if there an option some where on Netbackup where we need to specify to "Eject tape after Job Completes" like we have for Backup Exec. Kindly help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nairdheeraj
Level 4
Guess wht.. it was the barcode that did the trick... Once I started using barcodes for the tape the issue was resolved....

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
I know the tapes get eject once netbackup dont need them, have you check if there are jobs running that netbackups keeps the job in the drive? if the backups end and the tape is not been eject, can be a driver issue with your OS, try to update this, other thing you can do is create the bptm logs on your media server and see if you get any kind of error of why is not ejecting, also check on your event viewer maybe you see a hardware issue.

hope this helps.
regards

nairdheeraj
Level 4
I did check eventvwr to see the logs and came across three different error messages.

TLD(0) Initialize_element_status error - 13966

TLD(0) key = 0x5, asc = 0x21, ascq = 0x1, INVALID ELEMENT ADDRESS - 13942

TLD(0) going to DOWN state, status: Unable to initialize robot - 5705

I am going to change the tape drive once again and configure it once more. Do you feel this would be a driver issue with the OS or will a firmware upgrade help in this case?

Stumpr2
Level 6
Can you eject tape with robtest?

nairdheeraj
Level 4
I am able to eject the tapes with Robtest. Btu it is funny I read another post with the similar issues and it states that it because I am usign non barcoded tapes in an autoloader. It doesnt make sense But I am going to try that this week. Never know might just solve the problem.

nairdheeraj
Level 4
Attaching the link for the additional post about the similar issue. Might be of help.

zippy
Level 6
what is the make and model of you tape library?

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
do u know if once the backup or restore is done the tape is unloaded and just sits there? Other thing is if you are not using bar codes and your autoloader is configure to read something from the drive when it gets there to unload the media will fail because will think that nothing is in there because there is no bar code, try checking on your autoloader configuration if you can disable this or configured to move any media that is unmounted from the drive.

hope this helps.
regards

nairdheeraj
Level 4
Guess wht.. it was the barcode that did the trick... Once I started using barcodes for the tape the issue was resolved....