cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape not moving to scratch pool after the expiry is crossed in netbackup 7.6

Stiva
Level 4

Hi Team,

We have migrated our netbackup enivronment just 2 months back from netbackup 7.1 to netbackup 7.6. We observed that the  tapes which got expired are not moving to scratch pool.

Volume pool name in old environment : scratch

Volume pool name in new enivronment : ScratchPool.

It's happening with all the old tapes.

Could you please help us to identify issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Also curious about your migration and how it came about that you now have different pool names. There is a field in voldb called 'Previous pool'. Only if this pool is the pool marked as scratch pool will expired media be returned to scratch pool. Otherwise you will need move all expired tapes manually to the scratch pool as explained above.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RiaanBadenhorst

Is the pool configured as a scratch pool? Check the pool properties.

Also, what do you mean with migrated? Upgraded?

Will_Restore
Level 6

Different pool name, so you'd have to move the media manually.

Marianne
Level 6
Also curious about your migration and how it came about that you now have different pool names. There is a field in voldb called 'Previous pool'. Only if this pool is the pool marked as scratch pool will expired media be returned to scratch pool. Otherwise you will need move all expired tapes manually to the scratch pool as explained above.

Stiva
Level 4

Ok. Let me explain. Actually we have migrated our master and media servers from solaris to Linux then we upgraded netbackup version to 7.6. We are using cluster environment for two different regions.

Out of two masters one had(region A) "Scratch" volume pool name and another had "ScratchPool"(region B). For keeping scratch tapes for both in same pool we changed volume pool name to ScratchPool for region A.

Now issue is that Tape is not moving to scratch pool after the expiry is crossed for region A.

Do we have any option to make it automatic OR needs to move it manually?

Marianne
Level 6
I fully understood when I explained about 'Previous Pool '. In region A this field has Scratch in it which is no longer the scratch pool. This means that NBU will not 'automatigally ' change expired tapes to ScratchPool as they did not come from this pool. You will need to move expired tapes manually to ScratchPool as a once off exercise. From there on it will work as expected.

Marianne
Level 6

Extract from NBU Admin Guide I:

(under 'About scratch volume pools' topic)

NetBackup returns expired media to the scratch volume pool automatically
(media that is returned must have been originally in the same scratch pool).

Similar issue discussed in this post: 
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/changeing-previous-pool-name-using-command-line