cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape path shows RESTART status (NDMP)

X2
   VIP   

I recently upgraded my test system to 8.1.2 (Master RHEL 7.6 is robot host, Media Win2016) and it has a SpectraLogic T120 attached to it. Since the upgrade, the NDMP path shows Control as RESTART.

For normal path, restarting ltid works everytime. However, neither restarting ltid, nor resetting the drives, nor restarting the backup system has made any difference. Device configuration wizard finds the paths as expected though. I have not gone and checked on the SAN side, but we haven't made a change in SAN configuration that could have caused this.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

X2
   VIP   

SAN configuration checked out OK as expected

NDMP configuration - checked out fine too

tpautoconfig -probe <NAS Hostname> worked fine also

Had already tried restarting the NetBackup servers and also the tape library

Finally, after manually deleting all drives and reconfiguring the devices (using wizard) gave me back the NDMP paths under normal control (TLD). I had to go back into the configuration and change the tape density from hcart to hcart3 manually though

This issue was a good experience in going back to the manuals and learning/refreshing information. Glad it happened on my testing NetBackup domain Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Been a while since I have worked with NDMP, but seem to remember that you had to some configuration on the NDMP system when you changed things in NetBackup.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

X2
   VIP   

I have done several upgrades like this (since version 7.5) and all I had to do was to run the storage device discovery wizard. Haven't seen NDMP or for that matter tape drive paths turn to RESTART after an upgrade.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

In a situation like this, I would go back to the documentation and look at everything as if this is a new installation.

Maybe something has changed in latest NBU version - like compatibility for your NDMP filer software version?

Seems there is also something new in the NetBackup for NDMP: NAS appliance information doc. It was updated in Dec 2018. 

X2
   VIP   

@Mariannenothing seems to be new/out-of-the-ordinary in the appliance information document you linked.

I'm checking the whole setup now including SAN.

X2
   VIP   

SAN configuration checked out OK as expected

NDMP configuration - checked out fine too

tpautoconfig -probe <NAS Hostname> worked fine also

Had already tried restarting the NetBackup servers and also the tape library

Finally, after manually deleting all drives and reconfiguring the devices (using wizard) gave me back the NDMP paths under normal control (TLD). I had to go back into the configuration and change the tape density from hcart to hcart3 manually though

This issue was a good experience in going back to the manuals and learning/refreshing information. Glad it happened on my testing NetBackup domain Smiley Happy