cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape problem

gilbert08
Level 5
Partner Accredited
I'am having a problem with Netbackup, we have tape drive which has a capacity of 300 GB. I want to backup 1 server with a size of 250 GB. Tape is fresh,new and not been used yet but the backup end up with an error looking for another tape to write on.

Thanks in advance
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gilbert08
Level 5
Partner Accredited
I really dont know what happen. What I did is i just seregate some files  to backup. It was successful. I think it has something to do with tape not on netbackup software. anywayz thanks for all your help

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
will actually depend upon, amongst other things, the type of data that's being saved. Unfortunately you cannot guarantee that a 300Gb tape will be able to 'hold' 300Gb of data.

There have been a few other posts on this forum about the self same thing & I've usually quoted a few examples from our environment.

We use LTO3 tapes which have a 'native' capacity of 400Gb & 'compressed' capacity of 800Gb. Now, looking at all the FULL tapes in our library I can see that the amount of data held on the tapes varies from 360Gb to 1.2Tb - now that's both below and above the 'advertised limits' !!

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
Tape capacity can also be reduced if you "shoe shine" (write below adapting write speed) the tape. Space are the used for interblock gap instead of data.

gilbert08
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks for the information

gilbert08
Level 5
Partner Accredited
I really dont know what happen. What I did is i just seregate some files  to backup. It was successful. I think it has something to do with tape not on netbackup software. anywayz thanks for all your help