Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape utilization

infoappu
Level 2

Hi All,

I would like to collect the details of daily tape utilization by each client

Any script or opscenter report will do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Hi infoappu, can I ask why do you think you need to know this? I ask because your request is one of those types of questions which crop up regularly, but you'll find that seasoned backup admins don't actually think this way, i.e. to know how much of a tape is used by any backup client is a question that we never ask ourselves - because the answer is usually meaningless in the wider scope of total media usage, and typically has no context other than size of backup which itself is easiest collected from the activity monitor. Hence my question to find out what it is that you think you want to achieve - because I think your task may be better accomplished using a different method.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Hi infoappu, can I ask why do you think you need to know this? I ask because your request is one of those types of questions which crop up regularly, but you'll find that seasoned backup admins don't actually think this way, i.e. to know how much of a tape is used by any backup client is a question that we never ask ourselves - because the answer is usually meaningless in the wider scope of total media usage, and typically has no context other than size of backup which itself is easiest collected from the activity monitor. Hence my question to find out what it is that you think you want to achieve - because I think your task may be better accomplished using a different method.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I agree with sdo. In most environments, backups for more than one client is written to a single tape. Maybe all you need is a report of how much data is written by each client? Client backup report will give you this info. If you need to charge business units for media usage, you could possibly create different volume pools for each business unit and select the pool in policies for clients in the business unit. As per sdo's excellent post, understanding the reason for your query will help to provide better assistance.