cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tapes expiration date/time set to 2038 when retention is 1 year

psbrizzi
Level 3

I have seveal tapes that have various retentions levels. Like 60 days or 1 year etc... All of the last written dates have come and gone, when look i see Data expiration /Expiration Date/Time is set to 2038 on all of them, so tapes are not expiring. I have checked all the policys and SLP's and none have this date. I have checked several by runing report "Images on tape" none have retention set to "infinity" only the set time within the Policy/slp like 1 year.

My question is what may have caused this to happen, set retention/expiration date/time to 2038? 

17 REPLIES 17

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Genericus
   VIP   

2038 is the year NetBackup sets when it is setting to infinity. So somehow your tapes were set to infinity. It is possible to change the retention values on live systems, so even though the retention value, like 09 or 10 may now be set to 1 year, it is possible to have been infinity when the jobs ran.

Some SLP can be defined to not expire copy 1 until copy 2 is complete, and may set them as infinity in the interim. If you can run a check of your slp and make sure they are all complete that will eliminate that as a possibility.

I have seen it in the past, that if you set ONE image on a tape into the future, the tape expiration (not the other images) gets pushed to that date. Even though you change the image back, sometimes the tape expiration remains in the future.

Please run these commands taking NO action to an output file and VERIFY the images are the ones you want to modify.

Expiring the wrong batch of images can be a resume generating event!

You should be able to run a couple of commands:

List images on these tapes.

For each image, recalculate the retention and expiration for 1 year - that should make it all better.

If that does not work, then 

for each tape - set them to expire tomorrow, then run the recalulation and expiration to 1 year.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Marianne

@psbrizzi 

Could you please show us what you see for one of the tapes with Infinity data expiration? 

Output of 'nbemmcmd -listmedia -mediaid <media-id>' 
Output of 'bpimmedia -U -mediaid <media id> ' (as .txt file)

One 'feature' of SLPs is that expiration will initially be set to Infinity until ALL secondary operations have been completed. 
Only when all copies of duplications and/or replications have successfully completed will the SLP retentions be applied.
So, it might be possible that there are are outstanding secondary operations against some images. 

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Agree with Marianne

Netbackup set infinity retention on all SLP images not processed, once SLP operation is carried out, the original retension is applied.

Behavior is documnted here:

Storage Lifecycle Policy (SLP) backup images have original backup copy expiration date set to infinity

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100021670

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Sorry to spoil the party ....

Previously, NBU most certainly did set the copy 1 of an SLP to infinity, prior to additional copies being completed.

Not anymore, it changed 'a while back' ....  Now, copy 1 will be set to the longest expire time of any of the copies, and then will revert to 'it's own expire time' after the copies are made.

Eg. I just ran an SLP, copy 1 has a retention of 1 hour, copy 2 was a week.

Looking in NBDB Copy table before the duplication was made, at copy 1 is set to 1 week, not infnity.

1: "ImageCopyKey" unsigned bigint = '1931'
2: "ImageKey" unsigned bigint = '1945'
3: "CopyNumber" integer = '1'

6: "ExpireTime" bigint = '1553850914'

root@gpk630r2f-18 db $ bpdbm -ctime 1553850914
1553850914 = Fri Mar 29 09:15:14 2019

M

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Good feedback - Thanks 

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Can't remember when it changed, 7.7 something I think.

I guess the thought was that there is no point keeping copy 1 any longer than the time that 'every' copy of the image would have been expired by.

Marianne

Hi @mph999 

Thanks for this. 

It would just be 'nice' if documentation could be updated accordingly.

Herewith extract from 8.1.2 Admin Guide I pdf :

About ensuring successful copies using lifecycles
The process to create copies as part of a storage lifecycle policy differs from the
process to create copies as set up in a policy. The policy’s Configure Multiple
Copies dialog box includes the option to Fail all copies. That option means that
if one copy fails, the remaining copies can be set to either continue or fail.

In an SLP, all copies must be completed. An SLP initially tries three times to create

a copy. If no copy is created, NetBackup continues to try, but less frequently.

The successful completion of copies is important because an SLP does not allow

a copy to be expired before all copy operations in the SLP are complete. NetBackup
changes the retention period of a copy to Infinity until all copies are created. After
all copies are complete, the retention returns to the level as set in the policy.

Online (8.1) version of Admin Guide 1: 
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/18716246-126559472-0/v42386889-126559472

The successful completion of copies is important because an SLP does not allow a copy to be expired before all copy operations in the SLP are complete. NetBackup changes the retention period of a copy to Infinity until all copies are created. After all copies are complete, the retention returns to the level as set in the policy.

Thanks for the responses, here is a .txt of the output from >nbemmcmd -listmedia -mediaid 100718

reading some of the other posts and  yes this policy is using an SLP that includes a  from Data Domain to Tape for 1 year retention. 

I don't see in the output inlist media where the copy failed ? All so is there a way to fix this, or do i have to go through and bpexpdate each one? 

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

... I'l see if I can track down the author of the manual.

I think my test shows for certain it has changed ...  i always doubt myself with things like this.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Unfortunatley, you will have to change the retention times manually.  Persoanlly, I would just script it.

Marianne

So, it seems that something is wrong here.
nbemmcmd shows retention as 8 which is supposed to be 1 year, but with INFINITY expiration.

Can you list images on this media (there are only 5) and then show us output for one of the images?
bpimagelist -backupid <backup_id> -L

**** EDIT ***

@psbrizzi 

Looking again at media output, there is another possibility.

Data Expiration: INFINITY
Last Written: 09/27/2016 05:17
Valid Images: 5
Retention Period: 8

Maybe someone in your company has manually changed expiration date to INFINITY.
This could've been done any time after Last Written date (2016).
Changing expiration with bpexpdate will change the Data Expiration date, but not Retention Period (level).

You wouldn't happen to  have one(Script)  i could use? looking deeper into this i have over 100 that i will have to check. I do have some data that is condidered forever data, and will have to mindfull not to clear any of these tapes. 

Thanks for responses.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Not for Windows no, do you have a Linux box - I would copy a list of images to Linux, and use a script to create commands, then copy/ paste back to Windows.

cat images.txt |while read LINE

do

echo "bpexpdate -d <newdate> -force -backupid $LINE" >myscript.sh

done

Genericus
   VIP   

lol - I thought I had noted all this in my post back at the beginning.

Genericus
   VIP   

do you separate your tapes by retention in specific volume pools?

Even if not, you can use filtering to filter only tapes with retention X

Select all the tapes, ctrl-C - paste in an excell spreadsheet - delete all but the media ID column.

Paste those media id into a txt file. Say media.txt

for TAPE in `cat media.txt`
do
echo $TAPE
for IMAGE in `bpimmedia -l -mediaid $TAPE | egrep -v NULL | awk '{print $4}'`
do
echo $IMAGE
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpexpdate -recalculate -backupid $IMAGE -ret ## -force
done
done

NOTE - you can add -copy # in recalc command if you need to not recalc your first copy on data domain!

Marianne

@psbrizzi wrote:

.... looking deeper into this i have over 100 that i will have to check. I do have some data that is condidered forever data, and will have to mindfull not to clear any of these tapes. 

That sounds quite dangerous.... 

Best to have a good look at different retention requirements for different types of data and create new SLPs to be used in the relevant policies.