cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tapes with the same label

C_Moisan
Level 4
Hello! There was a mistake in one of our tape order and somehow I have 10 tapes with the same labels as 10 other tapes. The thing is, they were inserted before I realised there was a problem. Could someone tell me how to check the contents of a tape? I'm not talking about doing a bpimagelist since this would just look in the DB (right?). I need a way to have Netbackup load a tape and check if there is data in it. Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Oh dear, what a mess.

I do not expect no harm is done since the number of images don't match. e.g if there is 5 images on the old tape and the new is mounted, those 5 images would be missing. A tape robot usally reject the inset of tape number two with same barcode ID.

Please see the tech note about the tape contens report :

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000079711

from the tech note:

The Tape Contents report (formerly known as the Media Contents report) generates a list of the contents of a volume as read directly from the media header and backup headers

You can run the report form the GUI > Netbackup Mangement -> Reports -> Tape Reports -> Tape Contents

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Oh dear, what a mess.

I do not expect no harm is done since the number of images don't match. e.g if there is 5 images on the old tape and the new is mounted, those 5 images would be missing. A tape robot usally reject the inset of tape number two with same barcode ID.

Please see the tech note about the tape contens report :

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000079711

from the tech note:

The Tape Contents report (formerly known as the Media Contents report) generates a list of the contents of a volume as read directly from the media header and backup headers

You can run the report form the GUI > Netbackup Mangement -> Reports -> Tape Reports -> Tape Contents

C_Moisan
Level 4

If I'm lucky, there won't be any images on the new tapes. Fortunately, they were all inserted at the same time so I think I should be fine as long as I can see what's on the tapes. Thanks for the link, I will check it out!

C_Moisan
Level 4

Not sure what is going on but the tape doesn't seem to load in a drive. It just stays in the slot. The report screen just shows "Searching...". It's been doing that for at least 20 minutes now. Any ideas?

C_Moisan
Level 4

Ok, I have another problem. The delay was due to my master server not being active for tape or disk and that's normal. The thing is, if I select any other media server in the dropdown menu for "media owner" in the report settings, it gives me an error "Access to the client was not allowed". Why would it say that? We're talking about a tape, not a client...

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

We have moved above post to a new discussion as it seemed to be a new issue. Lest us troubleshoot that error separately (link to new post above).

Please run the following command on the master for the media-id that you are trying to verify contents:

nbemmcmd -listmedia -mediaid <media-id> 

If there are valid images on the original tape with the same label, it will be 'Assigned' to that media server. You will need to run the contents report on that media server.

You can also try this from cmd on the master on the media server:

bpmedialist -mcontents -m <media_id>  [-h <host_name>] -v -L

(use -h <media-server> when running the command on the master server and omit the option when running on the media server)

Ensure that admin log folder exists on the master and media server as -v will write to admin log.