cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tech Note 68160 - Moving the Netbackup\db\images to a different path

RLeon
   VIP   

Hi all,

It seems at some point between Jul2012 and Aug2012, Symantec removed the following technote referenced by Mark:
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/c-drive-almost-full-dbimages-how-change-veritas-location-c-now#comment-7351971

It was a technote about editing the Windows registry to allow just the images db directory structure (aka the whole image catalog) to be relocated to a different path/drive, in case it gets too big.
This only moves the images db. The rest of Netbackup is left alone in the original path.

The beauty of this solution is that you don't have to use the messy ALTPATH touch file method;
you also don't have to use the OS's symbolic links/hard links method, which is apparently not recommended because it may lead to other potential problems.

We have a site that implemented the solution described in the tech note.
The entire images db directory structure was moved from the default path in C:\ to somewhere in E:\ because the growth of the images db was causing C:\ to run out of space fast.
It worked nicely and we never had any problems with it.

However, we are now planning to upgrade this Master server from version 7.0 to 7.5.
Seeing that this tech note is no longer available/published, does that mean its method is no longer supported in nbu versions past 7.0?
What would happen if we go ahead and upgrade, would we encounter problems because 7.5 isn't expecting the images db to have been relocated away from its default location?

Thanks all,

RLeon

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You mean this one ....

Solution

Symptom: 

How to "Relocate" only the NetBackup Images Catalog.

Solution: 

In preparation to move the NetBackup Catalog from one location to another, we strongly recommend to perform a full backup of the NetBackup database catalog backup.

To relocate the catalog, follow these steps:

1. Shut down the NetBackup services on the master server. This may be done by running install-path\NetBackup\bin\bpdown command or from Windows Services.

2. Copy the install-path:\NetBackup\db directory to its new location, then rename the old db directory to db.bak as a backup copy ( where install-path is the location where Netbackup is currently installed )

3. Edit the registry but running regedit.exe command and navigate to the following key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Paths]

Locate the DATABASE_PATH string value or if it does not already exist, create it (it will default as REG_SZ value) making sure it is all in upper case.  This DATABASE_PATH string value is used to redefine where the NetBackup Image database is located.

For example if the new database location is in D:\new_location\db, the value of "DATABASE_PATH" would be:

D:\\new_location\\db

Note: All backslash characters must be doubled as shown above in the example.

Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.

4. Restart NetBackup services by running install-path\NetBackup\bin\bpup command or  from the Windows services.

5. Symantec recommends a full Hot NetBackup Catalog Backup after the relocation to ensure the backup works correctly. 

Note: If you are using the legacy offline catalog backup for version prior 6.x, make sure to update the Offline Catalog Backup from the administration console by selecting the Catalog tab then right click and select Configure Offline catalog backup, then update the previous backup location to point to the new location of the image database.

Martin

View solution in original post

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I think with that small modification there is no problem with support.

You have a copy of the technote  - therefore, you are covered.

Martin

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You mean this one ....

Solution

Symptom: 

How to "Relocate" only the NetBackup Images Catalog.

Solution: 

In preparation to move the NetBackup Catalog from one location to another, we strongly recommend to perform a full backup of the NetBackup database catalog backup.

To relocate the catalog, follow these steps:

1. Shut down the NetBackup services on the master server. This may be done by running install-path\NetBackup\bin\bpdown command or from Windows Services.

2. Copy the install-path:\NetBackup\db directory to its new location, then rename the old db directory to db.bak as a backup copy ( where install-path is the location where Netbackup is currently installed )

3. Edit the registry but running regedit.exe command and navigate to the following key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Paths]

Locate the DATABASE_PATH string value or if it does not already exist, create it (it will default as REG_SZ value) making sure it is all in upper case.  This DATABASE_PATH string value is used to redefine where the NetBackup Image database is located.

For example if the new database location is in D:\new_location\db, the value of "DATABASE_PATH" would be:

D:\\new_location\\db

Note: All backslash characters must be doubled as shown above in the example.

Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.

4. Restart NetBackup services by running install-path\NetBackup\bin\bpup command or  from the Windows services.

5. Symantec recommends a full Hot NetBackup Catalog Backup after the relocation to ensure the backup works correctly. 

Note: If you are using the legacy offline catalog backup for version prior 6.x, make sure to update the Offline Catalog Backup from the administration console by selecting the Catalog tab then right click and select Configure Offline catalog backup, then update the previous backup location to point to the new location of the image database.

Martin

RLeon
   VIP   

That's the one!

Think you can undelete that technote and add approval for Netbackup 7.5?

If not, then I don't know if it would be safe to upgrade.

Thanks,

RLeon

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Can't see why there would be an issue at 7.5 to be honest, providing the registry key  is still there 

BUT ... this should be tested first and not on a live server ...

I'll drop a email to the guy that wrote it - see if he can update it.

Martin

RLeon
   VIP   

Thanks for helping to find out.

I would test it when I get the chance, but it would be better if I have something official to refer back to.

Now, with the only tech note that talks about this technique gone, our current configuration is abruptly invalidated.
It has created uncertain and risky factors for our upgrade plans.

RLeon

RLeon
   VIP   

I tested it and could confirm that this trick still works in version 7.5.0.3.

Now, if only this technote is undeleted, I wouldn't care why it was deleted in the first place.

Imagine if in the future I had to call support to solve some catalog related problems:

Support: OMG you moved the image db to a different drive, what have you done!
Me: It was on a technote that is no longer...
Support: No there is no technote, what have you done! Oh God why! What the...!
Me: Hang on a second...
Support: This is blasphemy! This is madness! *hangs up*

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

ROFL - I read the bit of theatrics before I read

Imagine if in the future I had to call support to solve some catalog related problems

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I think with that small modification there is no problem with support.

You have a copy of the technote  - therefore, you are covered.

Martin

RLeon
   VIP   

Andy,
in the past I've had a few similar exchanges with the supports on other issues. They were no where near as dramatic. Unfortunately.

Martin,
I guess I could always reference this thread if necessary, unless...

*gasp*

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

I just had visions of a Pythonesque type sketch .... highlight of my day, ty.