cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telnet to windows client through bpcd is not working

siri416
Level 4

Hi All,

we have NBU 7.1.0.4 ,Backup is afiling with 58 error , when we tried telnet to client via bpcd port , the control is not coming out of loop.

And on client , netstat -a bpcd and vnetd shows CLOSE_WAIT .

In task manager also , I didn't see bpinetd.exe is not running . So do  I have to start bpcd manually . Please suggest.

Many Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I guess you tried multiple telenet connections to BPCD which are still running.Stop netbackup servcie and kill all the process id releted to nb servcies and start the nbu services. This should release close_wait otherwise might need to reboot.

Check the basics first.

Make sure the ip,hostname resolves fine. Do nslookup and make sure everything resovles fine. Any firewall that might be blocking? What is the client OS? Was it working before or new client?

If still no luck create bpcd folder on client and run bptestbpcd from the master/media and post the output as attachment.

Proxy service is for some different purpose and let it be stopped.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

sksujeet
Level 6

bpinetd.exe is not running? Is the netbackup client service running on client?Make sure this should be up and running

siri416
Level 4

sorry  , I see bpinetd.exe is running on task manager , However , there are many bpcd.exe processes running . Netbackup client service is running , but I see proxy service as stopped .

BPCD is showing CLOSE_WAIT in netstat ouput.

sksujeet
Level 6

I guess you tried multiple telenet connections to BPCD which are still running.Stop netbackup servcie and kill all the process id releted to nb servcies and start the nbu services. This should release close_wait otherwise might need to reboot.

Check the basics first.

Make sure the ip,hostname resolves fine. Do nslookup and make sure everything resovles fine. Any firewall that might be blocking? What is the client OS? Was it working before or new client?

If still no luck create bpcd folder on client and run bptestbpcd from the master/media and post the output as attachment.

Proxy service is for some different purpose and let it be stopped.

siri416
Level 4

there are many bpclntcmd processes also , so can we reboot server ?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

These are the services that should be running on 7.x client: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH152760

NetBackup Client Service
NetBackup Legacy Client Service
NetBackup Legacy Network Service
Symantec Private Branch Exchange

telnet to bpcd is no a good connectivity test. 

NBU 7.x will first try to connect to pbx. If that fails, it will try vnetd, then bpcd.

To test connectivity to windows client, do the following:

1. Ensure Windows firewall is disabled on Windows Client.
2. Verify that all required services are running (list above)
3. Create bpcd folder under ...\netbackup\logs on Windows client
4. On master (and media servers that will backup client) run this command from cmd:
   bptestbpcd -client <client-name> -debug -verbose
5. Check above output as well as client's bpcd log for errors.

Please post output of bptestbpcd as well as client's bpcd log (as file attachment).

siri416
Level 4

Hi Marriane,

Thanks for your post . As there are many bp hung processes , we did reboot of the server ,which fixes the issue,

Thanks again.