cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The backup jobs are running 1h after its schedules.

cviniciusm
Level 4

Hello,

Master Server: NetBackup Enterprise Server 6.5.4

Timezone: see the attached file

I have applied Microsoft KB2158563, the system clock is correct but the backup jobs are running 1h after its schedules.

Any ideas, please?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

cviniciusm
Level 4

Hello,

I changed the timezone to GMT-2.

That worked fine, now all backpps are running fine.

Zahid, is there a direct upgrade path of the 6.5 licenses e medias to 7.0, please?

Thanks.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Seth_Bokelman
Level 5
Certified

Backup windows in NetBackup define the timeframe that backup jobs can START in.  Backup jobs do not stop when the window closes, they just don't start anymore.  Any running jobs will continue to run until they are finished.  That's the normal behavior.

cviniciusm
Level 4

Hello,

I was not clear: the backup jobs are starting 1h late from the start of the "Start Window".

I did do a test: I created a "Start Window" 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm, then the job started on 4:00 pm.  This window was created on 1:00 pm. There was none visible activity running when I did do this test.

Any ideas, please?

Regards.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

or a specific one?

***EDIT***

There is (was?) an issue with NB7.0 that is addressed in 7.0.1:

"...
A change was made to address an issue that caused the policies to be scheduled
an hour late after a switch was made from Daylight Savings Time (Brazil).
..."

(there've been quite a few issues with DST) and similar issues over various 6.0 releases but I cannot find anything relating to 6.5.4 at the moment .... maybe worth logging a call with Symantec unless anyone else can advise anything more specific.

cviniciusm
Level 4

Hello,

The issue is happening for all policies/schedules except for some ones that are started by Windows Scheduled Tasks.

I 'll do a test with debug level at maximum.

I have searched already for the timezone keyword, but I did found nothing, yet.

Thanks.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Is it not maybe the daylight savings time ammendmant that is cuasing this? Listed on your screenshot as daylight bias. Or would that work in the opposite direction?

cviniciusm
Level 4

Hello,

I found Symantec NetBackup(TM) Release Notes too, but it is a broken link:

"

Symantec NetBackup™ 7.0.1 Release Notes

■ Description: A change was made to address an issue that caused the policies to be scheduled an hour late after a switch was made from Daylight Savings Time (Brazil). Etrack Incident: 1907096 ■ Associated Primary Etrack: 1902172
Technical Solutions | PDF

"

I think this issue affects 6.5.4 too. How to get the attetion of Symantec Engineering about this, please?

I didn't found this issue on 6.5.5 or 6.5.6 release notes.

Regards.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You'll need to contact support, details below.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/contact_techsupp_static.jsp

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

initial post & also confirmed that nothing is mentioned in the later 6.5.x release notes!

Is there any possibility that what Riaan has suggested is the cause? Unforunately (or fortunately) we've never had the DST issues that have been plaguing many users over the years!

As an aside, I am also "glad" that I'm not the only one who is suffering "broken links" - was it actually a "Forbidden" page after searching via the KnowledgeBase search? I ended up accessing the document via a roundabout route via various other documentation orientated TechNotes!

***EDIT*** & it looks like you did the same here too! Maybe worth mentioning your "broken link" issue on this discussion:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-support-knowledge-management-change

Back to your original issue - maybe worth considering a call to Support if your actual DST settings are correct.

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

HI cviniciusm

I think you should first of all update the NBU Server and client with the latest version. We cant say anything if we are not meeting the standard  

cviniciusm
Level 4

Hello,

I can update the backup environment to 6.5.6 and see if this solves the issue (I have no hope).

I have 7.0 FA and can simulate on a virtual test environment to see if the issue appears.

And I'll follow Riaan suggestion too.

Thanks.

cviniciusm
Level 4

Hello,

I found out it: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/resources/sites/BUSINESS/content/live/TECHNICAL_SOLUTION/124000/TECH124476/en_US/NB_701_Release_Notes.pdf?__gda__=1287656520_aa7c195fffae3b230b9a8378be52e1eb

"

Etrack Incident: 1879025
■ Associated Primary Etrack: 1873629
■ TITAN cases: 281-832-788 281-833-636
■ Contained in: NBLU_7.0.1.UNIX NBLU_7.0.1.WIN NB_7.0.1 NB_7.0.1.winnt.IA64
NB_7.0.1.winnt.x64 NB_7.0.1.winnt.x86 NB_CLT_7.0.1
■ Description:
Achange was made to address an issue that caused the policies to be scheduled
an hour late after a switch was made from Daylight Savings Time (Brazil).

"

I hope will be a patch for 6.5.4 too.

Regards.

*** EDIT ****

Andy, these broken links...it's a nightmare...shoot me...ok, I'm calm now ;-).

...and the winner link is: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH124476.

cviniciusm
Level 4

Hello,

I have an idea: I think if I change the timezone manually to GMT-2 then it could work.

Regards.

Zahid_Haseeb

Why not you are upgrading to 7 instead of 6.5.6 ?

cviniciusm
Level 4

Hello,

I changed the timezone to GMT-2.

That worked fine, now all backpps are running fine.

Zahid, is there a direct upgrade path of the 6.5 licenses e medias to 7.0, please?

Thanks.

Zahid_Haseeb

Dude i dont know what are you trying to say

What i have come to know that you ask about the license of version 7

i think license is not required if you are going to upgrade from 6.5.x to 7

Anton_Panyushki
Level 6
Certified

I fink that it is not timezone related issue. In 6.5.4 the тики is unpatched. Please contact the support and ask for this.

======= /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/nbrb =======
@(#) NetBackup_6.5.4_EEB5_PET1748162_SET1747025 923551616

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

In 6.5.4 the what is unpatched? nbrb?

Have you any info on what this EEB fixed or what E-TRACKs 1748162 or 1747025 related to (to save me looking!)?

Anton_Panyushki
Level 6
Certified

Sorry, a slip of a pen was due to software that automatically switches between Russian and English keysets based on what I type.  So, yes, I meant NBRB. There is a technote regarding NBRB patch http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77186. Please bare in mind that this patch affects both SLP-enabled and, so to say, old-style environments. The aim of this patch is to boost evaluation process. The patch was extremely helpful for us. I've heard that it was also installad in another Russia-based environment and the result was merely superb. In sum, if you run 6.5.4 and have your nbrb unpatched, I strongly recommend to apply this patch.