cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The device name is not valid, no device responded (52) while configuring NDMP drive

rclegarto
Level 4
Certified

Hi guys,

I am trying to configure NDMP drives in Netbackup. Before doing so, I executed this command to verify the drive path.. set_ndmp_attr -probe. Then it gives me 2 paths..

drive 1 = c64t0l0
drive 2 = c96t0l0

Now, I used the tpconfig -add -drive command to add both drives but I am being prompted with the error "The device name is not valid, no device responded (52). What does it mean?

15 REPLIES 15

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
From the "Troubleshooting Guide" :

Device configuration status code: 52
Explanation: On a request to add or change robot or drive information in the device configuration, the following occurred: no device was found in the system registry with the specified device name. This error code applies to Windows systems only.
Recommended action: To avoid manually specifying the device name, use the Device configuration wizard. The wizard fully automates (on supported device discovery platforms) device configuration requests. Or use the Media And Device Management interface to browse for devices in the system registry. Check the operating system registry to ensure that devices are present at the specified coordinates when devices are manually configured.

The section that states "This error code applies to Windows systems only." makes me think that it is looking for those devices but on the server you are running the command on & not the NDMP host.

rclegarto
Level 4
Certified

Forgot to mention that I am running the command on Windows environment and the NBU version is 5.1 with MP6. I tried the -nh option after you've mentioned it, but it says unknown argument.

If I use the device manager, it seemed like its also looking for the device on the master server and not on the NDMP host.

Just would like to add, I used the same commands not long ago.. i believe just 2 weeks back and it worked perfectly. Then the drives were reported missing from the tpautoconf -report_disc command, then I tried doing the tpautoconfig -replace_drive but it won't work. I realized that the path had somehow conflicted then decided to just delete the drives and to reconfigure them again. That's where the problem started.

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hey,
remove all the existing drives and add it again.

To add a drive

1. In the NetBackup administration console, select Media and Device Management > Devices in the left pane.
2. On the Actions menu, select New.
3. In the popup, select New Drive (on UNIX, Tape Drive).
4. In the Add a New Drive dialog box, in the Drive Name box, enter the name of the drive.
5. Click Add to specify a drive path.
6. In the Add Path dialog box, select the host and the path information as follows:

Device host - Select the name of the NetBackup media server. Use the pull-down to select media servers already defined, or click Add to enter a new one.
Path - Enter the device file name of the tape drive, such as nrst2a. Refer to the NAS vendor documentation for your drive for the correct format of the device file name.

Alternate method: use the following command to find the device file name for the drive, if the NDMP host is running NDMP protocol V3 or later:
tpautoconf -probe ndmp_host_name

7. Click This path is for a Network Attached Storage device.
8. In the NDMP Host drop-down list, select the name of the NAS filer to which the drive is attached.
9. Click OK.

Repeat this procedure for each drive that must be added.

Checking the device configuration

On the NetBackup for NDMP server, do the following:
  • On UNIX, execute /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmps and verify that ltid, vmd, avrd, and any required robotic daemons are active. On Windows, go to the NetBackup Administration Console and use the Activity Monitor (Processes tab) to verify that the these processes are active.
  • From the NetBackup Administration Console, use the Device Monitor to ensure that the drive is in the UP state.

rclegarto
Level 4
Certified
This didn't work too. I am always being prompted with "The device name is not valid. No device responded"

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
what is the output of the tpautoconf -probe ndmp_host_name 

rclegarto
Level 4
Certified
D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin>set_ndmp_attr -probe
Probe Host name: sm3apnas05
Host "sm3apnas05" tape device model "ULTRIUM-TD2 ":
Device "c64t0l0" attributes=(0x4) RAW
COMPRESSION=1
SERIAL_NUMBER=1110143331
Host "sm3apnas05" tape device model "ULTRIUM-TD2 ":
Device "c96t0l0" attributes=(0x4) RAW
COMPRESSION=1
SERIAL_NUMBER=9110327583

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
from output it is clear that both the drives are sharing same device path. so i guess conflict exist on ndmp host.
what kind of ndmp host you are having ?? emc, netapp, etc

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
They sure look different to me.

How are you adding the drive name? Took some digging but this is an excerpt from the 5.1 NDMP Admin Guide & I vaguely remember having a similar issue to this some time ago:

"...
Adding a Drive
1. Click Devices under Media and Device Management in the NetBackup Administration Console.
2. On the Actions menu, select New, then select New Drive... from the popup. The Add Drive dialog appears.
3. With the exception of the Device Name field (on UNIX, this field is called No Rewind Device), complete the dialog box as explained in the online help or in the Media Manager System Administrator’s Guide.
   Device Name
   ◆ If the drive is not attached directly to the NDMP host, follow the instructions in the Media Manager System Administrator’s Guide for this entry.
   ◆ If the drive is attached directly to the NDMP host, use the following notation for this field. First refer to the vendor documentation for your drive
       for the correct format of the device file.
       ndmp_host_name:device_file
       Where:
       ndmp_host_name is the name of the NDMP host where the drive is attached.
       device_file is the name of the file for the drive.
       For example: stripes:c2t3l0
       Note
       From the Browse button next to the Device Name field, you cannot browse for devices attached to an NDMP host. The devices shown on
       the resulting Devices display are those attached to the NetBackup media server.
4. When the dialog box is complete, click OK.
    A message should appear, asking whether or not you want to restart the Media Manager device daemon and all robotic daemons. Click Yes.
..."

By this token are you using sm3apnas05:c64t0l0 etc as your device names?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
***Edit***

Not sure about the duplicate posting either!?

rclegarto
Level 4
Certified
D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin>set_ndmp_attr -verify
Verify Host name: sm3apnas05
Connecting to host "sm3apnas05" as user "ndmp"...
Waiting for connect notification message...
Opening session--attempting with NDMP protocol version 4...
Opening session--successful with NDMP protocol version 4
host supports TEXT authentication
host supports MD5 authentication
Getting MD5 challenge from host...
Logging in using MD5 method...
Host info is:
host name "server_2"
os type "DartOS"
os version "EMC Celerra File Server.T.5.5.33.2"
host id "abc1997"
Login was successful
Host supports LOCAL backup/restore
Host supports 3-way backup/restore

rclegarto
Level 4
Certified

I tried adding the drives again following your advise. I was able to do so, however, when I execute the tpconfig -report_disc again, here appears the duplicate drive path.

D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin>tpconfig -add -drive -type hcart2 -path sm3apnas05:c64t0l0 -asciiname R0_D3 -index 5 -drstatus UP -robot 0 -robtype TLD -robdrnum 4
added drive index 5 of type hcart2 to configuration

D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin>tpconfig -add -drive -type hcart2 -path sm3apnas05:c96t0l0 -asciiname R0_D4 -index 8 -drstatus UP -robot 0 -robtype TLD -robdrnum 5
added drive index 8 of type hcart2 to configuration

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin>tpautoconf -report_disc
======================= Missing Device (Drive) =======================
Drive Name = R0_D4
Drive Path = /ndmp/c64t0l0
Inquiry = "-"
Serial Number =
TLD(0) definition Drive = 5
Hosts configured for this device:
Host = sg3apbck02
Drive Name = R0_D3
Inquiry = "-"
Serial Number =
TLD(0) definition Drive = 4
Host = sg3apbck02

Now, when I execute the tpconfig -dl to check for drive details, it shows the correct path..

Drive Name R0_D3
Index 5
NonRewindDrivePath /ndmp/c64t0l0
NDMP client sm3apnas05
Type hcart2
Status UP
Shared Access No
TLD(0) Definition DRIVE=4

Drive Name R0_D4
Index 8
NonRewindDrivePath /ndmp/c96t0l0
NDMP client sm3apnas05
Type hcart2
Status UP
Shared Access No
TLD(0) Definition DRIVE=5

By the way, thanks so much for the tip.

rclegarto
Level 4
Certified

I tried adding the drives again following your advise. I was able to do so, however, when I execute the tpconfig -report_disc again, here appears the duplicate drive path.

D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin>tpconfig -add -drive -type hcart2 -path sm3apnas05:c64t0l0 -asciiname R0_D3 -index 5 -drstatus UP -robot 0 -robtype TLD -robdrnum 4
added drive index 5 of type hcart2 to configuration

D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin>tpconfig -add -drive -type hcart2 -path sm3apnas05:c96t0l0 -asciiname R0_D4 -index 8 -drstatus UP -robot 0 -robtype TLD -robdrnum 5
added drive index 8 of type hcart2 to configuration

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin>tpautoconf -report_disc
Drive Name = R0_D4
Inquiry = "-"
Serial Number =
TLD(0) definition Drive = 5
Host = sg3apbck02
Drive Name = R0_D3
Inquiry = "-"
Serial Number =
TLD(0) definition Drive = 4
Host = sg3apbck02

Now, when I execute the tpconfig -dl to check for drive details, it shows the correct path..

Drive Name R0_D3
Index 5
NonRewindDrivePath /ndmp/c64t0l0
NDMP client sm3apnas05
Type hcart2
Status UP
Shared Access No
TLD(0) Definition DRIVE=4

Drive Name R0_D4
Index 8
NonRewindDrivePath /ndmp/c96t0l0
NDMP client sm3apnas05
Type hcart2
Status UP
Shared Access No
TLD(0) Definition DRIVE=5

By the way, thanks so much for the tip.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Also, glad to know that I'm not alone in getting duplicate postings!!! :o

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Also, glad to know that I'm not alone in getting duplicate postings!!! :o

***Edit***

However, having re-read your post a little closer I see u r still having "issues" - the tpautoconf -report_disc output is showing a different host/client of sg3apbck02 as well as both drives having the same path of /ndmp/c64t0l0 not sure of the best way to correct this short of deleting all the drives & re-adding them (but then you should be getting pretty good at that now!)

Will_Restore
Level 6
not as duplicate post, rather as onsite copy 2 :)