cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The difference between the bprestore -t 17 and brrestore!

liuyl
Level 6

Could I use the bprestore -t 17 instead of the brrestore?

And what difference between the two methods of SAP restore ?

Of course, the precondition of this question is the backup source was through the standard SAP policy with the sap_online_backup script that calling the brbackup/brarchive programs !

6 REPLIES 6

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Hi @liuyl 

First - you can't use bprestore -t 17 with util_file = rman (RMAN based backup with brtools).

bprestore = Netbackup command to restore files
brrestore = Tool from SAP to restore orcale based databases.

You can use bprestore -17 to restore the .anf file produced by brbackup if deleted by accident - that happen from time to time during clean-up.

Use brrestore to restore SAP. It is the only supported tool for doing this, if restore is part of cloning operation, brrestore does a lot of behind the scenes work - like changeing table space file names to new SID. Now brtools are a bit tricky to use and very sensitive about setting, so makre sure brtools package is updated and you use a standardized procedure for both backup and restore to archive predictable results.

If so,  I think that there would  be almost no difference between the -t 0 and 17 option,  just  only  for some special individual files restore ?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

-t # needs to match the policy type of the backup.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

It is "pure luck" you can specify -t 17 and restore from SAP, that is normal not the case for other data types e.g Oracle 

Yes, the parameter of -t must be used and specify correctly, otherwise it would failed with status 227(no entity)!

And also, I believe that bprestore -t 17 can directly restore the sap db that backuped through the NBU sap_online_backup(calling brtools)!

It's so wonderful that I have done and verified the restore of sap db via bprestore -t 17 successfully !
Notes: this method just need manually copy the controlfile from the sapbackup to its original locations !