cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The impact of changing the virtual machine server name under credentials in netbackup

YNS2014
Level 2

Hello All, 
We recently upgraded our NBU environment to 7.6.0.1 , Since ESX 5.5 is not supported we have requested for a patch from the symantec sales team.
We are still in the process of upgrading our ESX server to 5.5
The vmware team plans to set up a brand new machine with a different hostname and ip , and intend to add that as the Virtual machine server to the nbu environment.
So my query is
1. can the name of the already existing vmserver (under credentials) be changed ?
2. If not , after adding the new vm server , how would the already configured vmware policies be affected ? since all the vmwarehosts remain the same  , and have access to the ESx server
would we have to browse and choose the clients in every policy again ?

Please advise.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

By "brand new machine" do you mean ESX Server or vCenter server?

Generally you just need the credentials for the vCenter server under the credentials section.

What happens is that the master will direct the vmware backup hosts to query the server(s) listed in the credentials section in order to locate the machines listed to be backed up.

So if you add an additional server to the credentials list you should be fine .. i am just a little confursed as to what exactly you are doing here as generally you would only have one vcenter server per site

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

By "brand new machine" do you mean ESX Server or vCenter server?

Generally you just need the credentials for the vCenter server under the credentials section.

What happens is that the master will direct the vmware backup hosts to query the server(s) listed in the credentials section in order to locate the machines listed to be backed up.

So if you add an additional server to the credentials list you should be fine .. i am just a little confursed as to what exactly you are doing here as generally you would only have one vcenter server per site

YNS2014
Level 2

Hello Mark 

I meant the vcenter is going to be upgraded. by brand new i mean that the server used would be different and would have a different name., 

Since the old policies are already defined  and the client selection is already done through the "browse and select virtual machine " option  , wont it look for the old vcenter name and fail to find the path ?

Thanks.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

It shouldn't be an issuebut bear in mind tha the server list gets refreshed every 8 hours by default so if possible make the change and give it 8 hours before running a backup .. or open the policies do a browse for clients and hit the refresh button to update the lists using the new vcenter server

YNS2014
Level 2

Thank you for your assitance Mark  , we are in a testing phase now  , Will upgrade vcenter , give it some time  (minimum 8 hours) and then see how the behaviour is

Regards

Yogita