cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The simplest of questions re:ASA DB threads

jim_dalton
Level 6

Hi Forum Folks

Anyone out there happen to know what these settings default to (if they indeed do):

NUM_DB_CONNECTIONS=?

NUM_DB_BROWSE_CONNECTIONS=?

NUM_ORB_THREADS=?

I know that NUM_DB_CONN=NUM_DB_BROWSE_CONN+1

ie theres just one write thread inferred, but what of the actual numbers?

TIA,Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

Tuning emm.conf

• UNIX: /usr/openv/var/global/emm.conf is the configuration file used by nbemm the Enterprise Media Manager.
• Windows: <install_path>\NetBackup\var\global
• With the default settings in emm.conf (or with the file not present) even a number of admins opening the Device Manager in the GUI or running commands can exceed the number of connections. The default for DB browse connections is only 3 and DB connections is 4!
• For large environments the following settings are recommended as a minimum NUM_DB_BROWSE_CONNECTIONS=20 NUM_DB_CONNECTIONS=21 NUM_ORB_THREADS=31
• This makes it important that the the emm db in /usr/openv/db/data is on really fast disk and often times it is advisable to have it on separate disk from the image catalog and any logging.
• Tech note on how these settings and nbrb settings can affect jobs getting resources and going active

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH57277

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Not sure of all of your questions but the startup is controlled by the server.conf file - details of that and its startup parameters are here:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO34665

That may answer you question in part?

I looked in the server.log file but it doesn't look like it put much in there

jim_dalton
Level 6

No Mark this info doesnt appear in there. Even Symantec support cant answer this question.

Jim 

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

I know in 7.x , for tuning and perfomance, we reccomend the following for large enviorments

emm.conf
NUM_DB_BROWSE_CONNECTIONS=20
NUM_DB_CONNECTIONS=21
NUM_ORB_THREADS=35
USE_HASH=1

As far as what is the defaults... I will try to do some more research.  I think there is a tech note regarding this.  And it may be lsited in the release notes.

What is the exact version of Netbackup you are running ?

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

Tuning emm.conf

• UNIX: /usr/openv/var/global/emm.conf is the configuration file used by nbemm the Enterprise Media Manager.
• Windows: <install_path>\NetBackup\var\global
• With the default settings in emm.conf (or with the file not present) even a number of admins opening the Device Manager in the GUI or running commands can exceed the number of connections. The default for DB browse connections is only 3 and DB connections is 4!
• For large environments the following settings are recommended as a minimum NUM_DB_BROWSE_CONNECTIONS=20 NUM_DB_CONNECTIONS=21 NUM_ORB_THREADS=31
• This makes it important that the the emm db in /usr/openv/db/data is on really fast disk and often times it is advisable to have it on separate disk from the image catalog and any logging.
• Tech note on how these settings and nbrb settings can affect jobs getting resources and going active

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH57277

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Default values as of right now (ie through 7.5):

NUM_DB_CONNECTIONS: 4
NUM_DB_BROWSE_CONNECTIONS: 3
NUM_ORB_THREADS: 10

All of these defaults MAY increase in 7.6 - if they do, we'll make sure it is documented somewhere.  (In other words, please bookmark this thread and ask me again after 7.6 comes out if you can't find the defaults then and I'll recheck the Etracks.)

jim_dalton
Level 6

Dyneshia gets the points , but of course you were also correct Chris.

Support never did supply the answer, they changed tack and decided it was a known problem and issued me with a EEB which has at least eradicated the deadlock (I'm 7504).

Thanks,Jim 

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Instead of "Support never did supply the answer," I prefer to think of it as "Support eventually provided you the answer here on Connect"  wink

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

Thanks for the update Jim.  Could you update the thread with what etrack support gave you.

Just incase someone else runs into this as well :)