cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tidy up following agent upgrade

AndrewPilgrim
Level 4
Partner

Hi, I am doing some work to upgrade the netbackup client on a load of Solaris servers and i was wondering once the install has been done and tested to check it is all okay are there any old files i can remove to free up some space?

We are going from v6.5.6 of the Unix Client to v7.6.1

The problem is these servers were built with quite small root filesystems and netbackup was not installed in a dedicated filesystem. So when i upgrade from the current version v6.5.6 to v7.6.1 it is chewing up about 1Gb of space from the root filesystem. And with them not having much free space on i would be keen to remove any files if possible just to ease the space situation.

If anyone has any thoughts or has done this sort fo tiday up work before it would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

What I meant to say is there could be other things eating up disk space more than NetBackup.   OK if netbackup/client folder is missing; nothing to clean up there.

See this old thread on pack directory removal: https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/What-if-I-delete-quot-pack-quot-directory-after-upgrade/td-p/57...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

SantoshVarma
Level 3

Hi,

You may check for any NBU logs occupying the root file system space.

Also run find command to clear unwanted files from root.

If still having the same issue then you may try install command with -s switch at the time of client install.

./install -s

By this switch the installer will use less file system space. I used this swicth with install command when there is less space in file system and it worked for me. So you may give a try.

-Santosh

Note: If this helped to resolve this issue please mark this post as solution

Will_Restore
Level 6

First of all, make sure NetBackup is the culprit.  cd /; du -sk * | sort -n

If it is then cd /usr/openv and rm -rf pack.*

Won't be able to revert to older version but why would you want to anyway?

Then cd netbackup/client and rm any uneeded versions.

Netbackup is definately the cause as had a df -h / running on a loop while i did the upgrade and saw the free space drop on average of 1Gb. I have done what you suggesed and gone into /usr/openv and can see 3 directories

pack, pack.6.5.6 and pack 7.6.1

Do i assume it is okay to remove all of those 3 directories and everything beneath them or just the 6.5.6 since we are running 7.6.1?

Also you mentioned about then going into netbackup/client and removing uneeded versions. I am not seeing that directory structure anywhere. No client directory under /usr/openv/netbackup/ I have done a seach and cant find it either ?

What I meant to say is there could be other things eating up disk space more than NetBackup.   OK if netbackup/client folder is missing; nothing to clean up there.

See this old thread on pack directory removal: https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/What-if-I-delete-quot-pack-quot-directory-after-upgrade/td-p/57...

Thanks for the info....