cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time needed to be able to read / reassignate images from a media server to another, which solutions ?

Stephane_Pierre
Level 2

Hi all !

The purpose of my question is to know not how to do but how quickly I can use a new media server on a diffrent VLAN with a different master server to restore datas whose images come from another media server, a diffrent VLAN with a catalog (restored making a synchro / split of apaired disks). Final datas are on a Quantum DXi associated to a storage server.

It is possible to use the following command line :

bpimage -newserver <new_media_server> -oldserver <old_media_server>

But how much time it takes ? I think, too much, and as we are in a short intervention window to do that it is not acceptable if too long...

Is there any other way ? Playing with the EMMDB for exemple to reassign the images ?

Thanks in advance.

Stephane

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes. bpimage is the command to use.

But how much time it takes ?

You are asking here 'how long is a piece of string'.......

I have seen how this took about 30 minutes on an old SPARC V240 running Solaris 10 with a small amount of images (used in a lab environment).
I have also seen that this command took a couple of seconds on a fairly new HP server running Suse Linux with about 500GB of images.

So, it depends on multiple factors - processing power of the master server and size of image catalog.

I am battling to understand your setup - how are images/data getting to remote server?

Why not use AIR to replicate images to remote master? This way images will be imported at remote site by remote media server with no need for change of image ownership.

Quantum DXi supports AIR - why not use this technology?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne

Yes. bpimage is the command to use.

But how much time it takes ?

You are asking here 'how long is a piece of string'.......

I have seen how this took about 30 minutes on an old SPARC V240 running Solaris 10 with a small amount of images (used in a lab environment).
I have also seen that this command took a couple of seconds on a fairly new HP server running Suse Linux with about 500GB of images.

So, it depends on multiple factors - processing power of the master server and size of image catalog.

I am battling to understand your setup - how are images/data getting to remote server?

Why not use AIR to replicate images to remote master? This way images will be imported at remote site by remote media server with no need for change of image ownership.

Quantum DXi supports AIR - why not use this technology?

Stephane_Pierre
Level 2

Hi Marianne,

Thanks for your quick answer. I used to read a lot of answers and workarounds you posted all these years longs and it is always a pleasure to have your feedback on problems.

So, about our architecture, here are the informations :

- the target laster server is sized around this model :

Architecture:          x86_64 / HP / Linux RedHat 2.6
CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                16
On-line CPU(s) list:   0-15
Thread(s) per core:    2
Core(s) per socket:    4
Socket(s):             2
NUMA node(s):          2
Vendor ID:             GenuineIntel
CPU family:            6
Model:                 26
Stepping:              5
CPU MHz:               2399.796
BogoMIPS:              4799.31
NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0,2,4,6,8,10,12,14
NUMA node1 CPU(s):     1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15

- NBU catalog is 456 gb.

- We use a synchro / split of the disk group containing the catalog to have an image from the production on another machine and on another network. We call it the recovery bubble. We set up the hostname to the original production server and we create a new media server which must own then all the images from the production media servers.

- We have around 12 media servers from we need to reassign the images to an unique new media server.

So with the details you gave me about your bench tests, can I say my client that the process will take less than one or two hours ? Or will it be greater ?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Kind regards.

Stephane

Marianne

In all honesty - my experience as per my previous post was a couple of years ago while working for another company.
So, I do not have any other info besides what I have posted above.

The only way to know is to do an actual test in your environment.

Another way will be to config 'Media Host Override' in Host Properties of the destination/DR Master server.

I still feel AIR is the best way for DR preparation.
AIR FAQ: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH154323 

Stephane_Pierre
Level 2

Hi Marianne,

It seems we cannot use AIR as we have two different network dans our production DXi will be reachable from our pre-production network making the right network route.

So I will try later to check the time needed for bpimage on our pre-production target server for a catalog near 500 GB. I will give you a feedback.

Thanks for your answers. 

Regards.

Stephane