cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To allow backup data go through a specific nic

nbmagic
Level 4

What steps I need to go through to allow backup data go through a specific nic / subnet both on OS and NetBackup level?

Thanks in advance for sharing!

3 REPLIES 3

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I would argue that the correct way is to set a staic route on the OS.

There is a PREFERRED_NETWORK option, but this should really be called 'PLEASE_MR_OS_IF_POSSIBLE_COULD_YOU_ROUTE_NETWORK_TRAFFIC_FROM_INTERFACE_X' ...

Yep, it all depends on the OS routing at the end of the day, so best to set a static route if possible.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

As long as NIC/IP is bound to a different hostname and this hostname is used in NBU config, the backup data will go through this NIC.

Backup network has been working for our customers over many years by simply adding hosts entries and using the backup NIC hostnames in NBU config...

For example:

# Public network
192.168.10.1  master
192.168.10.2  media1
192.168.10.3  client1
192.168.10.4  client2

# Backup network
10.10.10.1 master-bk
10.10.10.2 media-bk
10.10.10.3 client1-bk
10.10.10.4 client2-bk

Update hosts entries on all servers and clients.
Change bp.conf on Unix/Linux and Registry on Windows to add SERVER entries for -bk servers on all server and clients. 
If master server was installed with Public network address, you need to keep that name as 1st entry.

Change CLIENT_NAME in client config on all clients to -bk name.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Good point Marianne - when configured using the alternate NIC, eg master-bk as opposed to 'master' then this should work.  I was thinking *though failed to mention) when additioanl interfaces are added for backup traffic sometime after the initial config which is when the fun and games can start ...