Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To determine the total size of Archived catalog image

Iype
Level 4
Certified

Hello Team,

Can anyone tell me how to get the total size of the previously archived catalog backup. 

I am trying to restore back the archived catalog, before performing the restore i need to know how much was the total size of the archived catalog. Any way to determine this

Environment:

Cluster, Linux OS, Version 7.5.0.6

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I dont have one to test but try the following and see if the output helps:

bpcatlist -policy catarc -since 1970

Did you do archiving before you upgraded to 7.5?

If so have you seen this article http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH188991

Not sure if the fix in 7.5.0.3 means you are now fixed or still need help

The bpcatlist -policy mypolicy command will tell you if you are affected

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

You can determine the size of the restore by using the BAR GUI before starting the restore. Just look at the folder and file sizes.

If your looking for a command, try using bpimagelist -backupid xxx-yyy | grep IMAGE | awk '{ print $19 }'. Its a pretty popular command for this.

Iype
Level 4
Certified

Hi Terry, 

I did a bpcatlist -offline to find out which all images been archived before. Before doing a bpcatres i need to determine if we have enough space in the catalog fs and it wont get filled up when performing the restore. so i need to find out the overall size of the images that were archived earlier so i can add more space if required. In the BAR gui it mentions that the images is been archived. Is there any way to find this out.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

I dont have one to test but try the following and see if the output helps:

bpcatlist -policy catarc -since 1970

Did you do archiving before you upgraded to 7.5?

If so have you seen this article http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH188991

Not sure if the fix in 7.5.0.3 means you are now fixed or still need help

The bpcatlist -policy mypolicy command will tell you if you are affected

Hope this helps

Iype
Level 4
Certified

Thanks Mark, The command shows the size of data that was archived and the Catarcid is showing 0. Currently we are using 7.5.0.6. version, will this help in restoring back the catalog archives? 

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

OK - so it sounds like your original issue is resolved but i have raised another one for you!

I would log a call with support - it does sound like they have a workaround for it - just quote the document i linked above and E-track 2788583

Worth double checking if you are affected before proceeding further

Iype
Level 4
Certified

I opened a case with symantec to confirm if we are ok to perform an catalog restore with the current version.

The engineer adviced that there won't be any issue and we are good to go with the restore. Will perform the restore and update the status.

Mark also one more question, is it ok to perform the catalog restore while the backups are running?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

In theory you could run it at any time - but i would prefer to do this sort of operation during a quiet time - you are loading the Master with a lot of data so it will inevitably take a hit

Maybe stage it a little at a time over a period of days until you have it all restores - do this using the -before switch as per this doc: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH36433

Good luck

Iype
Level 4
Certified

Thank You very much Mark.

I have performed the restore and also done the archiving. All worked good.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Great news! Pretty quick too!

Thanks for letting us know