cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total size of data backed up each week

Oyvind_Sonderby
Level 5

Hello

I'am running NB 6.5.4. Enterprise Master server. Have 113 clients, running normal windows backup, oracle, sql and Exchange backup on 71 different Policies. How can I get a report on total MB/GB of data backed up each week?

13 REPLIES 13

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
this was covered on another post a couple of weeks back https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/report-scripts

so with a little amendment you could get what you are looking for.

e.g.

bpimagelist   -hoursago  168   -U  |  awk   '{kb+=$5}  END  {print kb}'

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I have a job that runs after my full backups so I can track how the amount of data is growing.

Here is my UNIX script.  Note - the -hoursagow 64 is because I start fulls on Friday night and this job runs Monday morning... so it is 64 from the time my full backups start - change that to what ever you need.  Gives me the total in kb's.  I then put it into a spread sheet that converts it to GB's and a bar chart to watch the growth.

z=0

for x in $(/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimagelist -U -hoursago 64 | grep -v "^[KB-]" | awk '{ print $5 }')

do

z=$(( $x + z ))

done

echo $z | /usr/bin/mail -s " Weekend Backups Totals" someone_who_cares@mydomain.com

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

How do you get yours to give you a proper number.

doing yours I get this funky number

6.87305e+10

that just does not go into my spread sheet well.
So I had to do it differently.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
It looks like an 'overflow' type "error", like what you get on a calculator if the number is too large for the display. Also the same as what you get in Excel if you format a cell to "scientific" e.g. 514,500,000 would be displayed as 5.15E+08 which is 5.15 x10 to the power 8 or 5.15 x100,000,000.

Is it some environmental variable you have set on your system? (AIX isn't it?)

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hello I have made a script for it.. try the download Area

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/downloads/script-list-amount-backup-some-period-policy

I have made some upgrade on that script... I'll send here too

I hope it helps

cheers

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I had to change a small part of it to format the output to a decinal integer.

{printf "%d\n", kb}

creany
Level 3
Hello

sometimes there are simple methods that do not involve scripting. Scripting can be a bit overwhelming for some.

In the admin console under reports run the client backups report for the date and time range you require. This is for all successful backups only. save the output and put it in excel. Create a simple pivot table or put it in pivot chart as management like pretty pictures as this is usually as much as they understand

i had some issues running this weekly as some of my images only had 1 week retention and would not appear in the report. To get around this i setup a report in NOM with the same attributes as the client backup report. The report allowed me to put in date and time ranges. NOM keeps about 30 days of client backup information. The report can be exported to csv file. you can even schedule the report to be sent to you.

NOM worked for me if i was on holidays or forgot to do it on Monday. The output from either is really easy to work with in excel. process does not take too long and is simple enough for one of the operators to produce the report.

creany

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
as much as they understand..."

How very true!   :D

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I Agree NOM server is the best option for reporting,

I have done the script thing as long i haven't  built my NOM server

there is one script there that returns the average of elapsed time that each policy takes,

I assume that 24hrs = 100% and make the relation between each average

I  put it to excell and generate a BAR graphic, witch helps me to built my backup Window

by the way I still don't have a NOM server haha

Thanks U

Stumpr2
Level 6
Oyvind,
There is a lot of good stuff here.
Please select the one that helped you the most and mark this as solved.
Thanks.

Oyvind_Sonderby
Level 5
Hello, and thanks for all the replys

Andy: Running bpimagelist  -hoursago 168  -U | awk '{kb+=$5} END {print kb}' results in error: awk is not recognized as an internal or external command

Creany: In Admin Console, running Report under Netbackup Management --> Reports --> Client Backups. Tried to run a report from 01.01.2010 to 02.04.2010. Then I get: Search completed with no results for the specified criteria. Strange, since I have a lot of succesful backups and is able to da restores as well.

Creany & Claudio: I have NOM 6.5.2 installed on a server. Have successfully added my Master server. But status of Master server is Offline in NOM. Have added the NOM server as an additional server in server list on Master  server, but that did not help. Any clues on this? Else I will create an separate thread on this. NOM also report my Master server OS as Unknown, and Backup product version as unknown. The Master server is running Windows Server 2008 R2 x64. The OS on the  NOM server is Windows Server 2003.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
I take it this was run from Windows then? Sorry, I gave an example from what I know i.e. UNIX.

I believe you can install awk (or gawk or nawk or some such) in a Windows environment, but don't ask me I'm a *nix bod! ;)

Oyvind_Sonderby
Level 5
Update: I have now totally re-installed NOM. All is OK working OK with NOM now. What should I do in NOM to grab the info that I want (see first post) ?