Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touch file to keep a media server always up

ddm2
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Hello,

I remember there is a touch file that is used to prevent the monitoring of the server itself. It is used to keep the media server always up.

Just I don't find around the name and the location of this file.

Have a nice day.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I'm not aware of a touch file that does that.  If it still exists (they get discontinued) it should only ever be used under the direct direction of Symantec (so it is documented in the case notes).

A media server should always be up, and if it is unavailable, it should be made inactive.

Anything else is wrong and 'unsupported', unless there is a very very good reason for it and it is ok'd by Symantec directly, unless it is listed in a manual.

There is a very very good reason touchfiles are undocumented.  Many are 'engineering use' only, so even tech support do not know about them.

Martin

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I'm not aware of a touch file that does that.  If it still exists (they get discontinued) it should only ever be used under the direct direction of Symantec (so it is documented in the case notes).

A media server should always be up, and if it is unavailable, it should be made inactive.

Anything else is wrong and 'unsupported', unless there is a very very good reason for it and it is ok'd by Symantec directly, unless it is listed in a manual.

There is a very very good reason touchfiles are undocumented.  Many are 'engineering use' only, so even tech support do not know about them.

Martin

ddm2
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Thanks for the info.

agreed shouldnt be used, but here it is anyway:

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/MEDIA_SERVER_ALWAYS_UP

if you up verbose and check out admin logs, you'll find it checking for this and media_server_always_down config file.

cheers.